Hybrid View

Trane XR15 NOISY Condensor unit Contactor

In my other thread where I asked about running the Air Handler fan on Auto or on, I forgot to ask about the very loud Clunk the compressor contactor makes when it is De-energized. It is a little loud when it energizes too, but when it drops out: CLUNK!! I asked the installers and service tech about it and they said, yeah, every customer asks them the same thing.

I am in industrial automation, and have worked with high quality devices my entire career, but I've NEVER heard anything this loud either pulling in or dropping out.

What have the pros here experienced with this noise?

My condensor is Trane model 4TTR5049E1000BB, a 4 ton unit.

Thanks!

Haven't heard that complaint with an XR15. You may be hearing the compressor itself which can make a clunk at shutdown. It is not an indication of anything going wrong.

I have not talked to an engineer about it but when scroll compressors were introduced they had a tendency to run backwards during momentary power loss as the expansion of refrigerant pushes the scroll backwards and the rotation is continued by the motor. The clunk may be due to a design that prevents the scroll from doing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Hi Guys,

Well almost a year later, and the system is running fine and cooling fantastic. The clunk still happens and I've been disussing it with the installing company. They replaced the contactor, which the service tech thought it might be too, but of course it is not, and made no difference. I asked them to contact Trane and find out why it clunks like it does. It does sound like the noise is coming from the compressor. It does this at each and every shutdown.

Any new info given to you or learned by you gentlemen in the past year on the XR15 since I made my original post on this?

Thanks,

Bob