Confused Lennox EL296 Series question

We just had a new Lennox EL296 furnace installed with a Healthy Solutions Climate Air Cleaner. (model HCC 16-28).
    Filter is a MERV10, x6678.

After the install we noticed that when the air conditioner is running and the blower goes up to stage 2,
    It sounds like there are "crickets" coming from where the evaporator coils are.

When the tech removed the air filter from the housing while the blower was on stage 2, the noise went away.

Any suggestions or recommendations that you know of?

Please let me know.

Thank You.

Sounds like an air leak, or someone forgot to remove the shipping bolt from the blower assembly.
    Can you feel a vibration associated with the noise?

Hi syndicated.

Thanks for your reply.

Hope this is not a silly question, but "where" should we feel for the vibration ?

Should also mention that when the filter was replaced but the filter door is left open, there is no noise.

Once the door "seals" the filter cabinet, the cricket sounds come back.

i would look around for a loose piece of metal or tape vibrating from the unit sucking for air with the door on.

Greetings t527ed.

Thanks for the advice. Can't seem to exactly pinpoint/localize a loose piece of metal or tape from the unit while the door is closed.

I'm thinking of picking up a mechanic's stethoscope later this evening. (May help in narrowing down the location of the sound ?)

Will keep all updated.

To all who helped out, thanks

Checked inside the media filter door and the shipping bolt was removed. Used the mechanic's stethoscope on different metal parts all around the exterior of the furnace, but

could not really pinpoint the "cricket sound" on "stage 2" of the blower. Would having a HVAC tech come back and change the factory settings to less of a blower speed be the

answer ? Would this be a solution, even with a variable speed furnace ?

Thanks

Just an update.

Will have another HVAC company visit the residence this Friday to see if they can pinpoint the "cricket sound".

Will post once a diagnosis is hopefully found.

Problem diagnosed and solved.

The "cricket sound" was caused by too much CFM going through our older/smaller duct work in our home.

This HVAC tech noticed that the factory settings were at 1250 CFM for a 3 ton AC unit. Our house has a 2 ton AC.

The CFM was then properly adjusted to 800.

The home cools down just as well as before, by way of both stages of cooling.

No more "crickets" !!!!!!

P.S. Our media filter is model number X6670 and not X6678 as I originally posted. Sorry for the mix up.

Let the company know that their installers either don't know how to read or are too lazy to read the instructions. There's no excuse for new equipment not being set up correctly.

Hello martyinlincoln

Thanks for the advice. Will do so.

Thanks once again to all who commented or posted a reply

Quote Originally Posted by xtr View Post
    Problem diagnosed and solved.

The "cricket sound" was caused by too much CFM going through our older/smaller duct work in our home.

This HVAC tech noticed that the factory settings were at 1250 CFM for a 3 ton AC unit. Our house has a 2 ton AC.

The CFM was then properly adjusted to 800.

The home cools down just as well as before, by way of both stages of cooling.

No more "crickets" !!!!!!

P.S. Our media filter is model number X6670 and not X6678 as I originally posted. Sorry for the mix up.
    How big is your furnace? i.e. how much airflow does it require when you start it in high?
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

Greetings beshvac

The furnace that was installed by the original HVAC company is rated at 70,000 BTU.

As for how much airflow is required at start up in high, that I would not know, as the second HVAC technician (from a different company) that came to our residence calculated this amount required prior to the CFM adjustment.

He asked for the installation instruction/manual and proceeded to read through the technical information and tables that were provided in the manual.

I was not present during the time he read the installation/instruction manual.

Hope this may have answered your questions.