Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It's not that the drain switch was installed incorrectly, it simply wasn't installed! If this on a 2nd floor than it is code to have at least an emergency pan installed under the unit with a float switch to shut the system down. You have every right to go after the contractor for damages to your home.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaDave View Post
    It's not that the drain switch was installed incorrectly, it simply wasn't installed!
    It may have the optional internal float switch AS/Trane makes for that air handler.

I completely agree that the whole thing should have been sitting in an emergency drain pan, with a float switch in the the pan.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

True, although if they didn't have the forethought to put an emergency pan under it, I doubt they ordered a factory spec float switch for it. I haven't used the factory switch yet because it's probably cost prohibitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaDave View Post
    I haven't used the factory switch yet because it's probably cost prohibitive.
    You can buy 2 1/2 EZ-Trap float switches for the price of the factory one, but the factory one takes maybe 1 minute to install and wire, including the time opening the package.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Thanks all. It wasn't a low-bid job-- I went with a new system because Florida Power & Light, the electric company, was doing a big rebate for 16 SEER systems if you went with one of their authorized contractors. I then fielded about 8 bids from those contractors, cross-checked with the BBB and with Angie's List, bothered the ever-lovin' crap out of you guys here on the forum, and chose my contractor. The install is less than a month old and I haven't yet had my inspection from the city, so if this doesn't go well I'll get the city inspector on his butt, as well as FPL and Angie's List.

He actually just left the house-- my drain line was clogged and he flushed it out for me and is coming back tomorrow to address the float switch. He said he doesn't understand why the float switch didn't function as it was the factory switch that came with the unit and he installed it correctly. Ugh, we'll see.

I hope the drain didn't have a piece of your insulation blanket in it.......lol
    Always here

Nope, just gunk from probably many years of neglect by the previous owners of this house. Why exactly is that insulation blanket a bad idea? It really cut down on the noise quite a bit.

Note on drain pan- code will vary state to state-
    In California, a drain pan wouldn't be required under that unit if it resides over your own structure. If there was another apartment or condo below you that could be damaged- then yes it would be required.
    I still would have installed one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    Thanks all. It wasn't a low-bid job-- I went with a new system because Florida Power & Light, the electric company, was doing a big rebate for 16 SEER systems if you went with one of their authorized contractors. I then fielded about 8 bids from those contractors, cross-checked with the BBB and with Angie's List, bothered the ever-lovin' crap out of you guys here on the forum, and chose my contractor. The install is less than a month old and I haven't yet had my inspection from the city, so if this doesn't go well I'll get the city inspector on his butt, as well as FPL and Angie's List.

He actually just left the house-- my drain line was clogged and he flushed it out for me and is coming back tomorrow to address the float switch. He said he doesn't understand why the float switch didn't function as it was the factory switch that came with the unit and he installed it correctly. Ugh, we'll see.
    Tell the contractor to install a wet switch which goes on the flr when activated with smallest water drops it shuts down unit if wired correctivly I install them all the time and youbdont have to remove the unit or if a secondary pan can't be installed made by divers tech I believe

Even if it is not code to put a auxillary drain pan under most quality contractors would .why just do the bare minimum

So do you guys think this may have compromised my equipment? On the GAM5, the blower is underneath the drain pan so it got wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    So do you guys think this may have compromised my equipment? On the GAM5, the blower is underneath the drain pan so it got wet.
    I doubt it was damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    Note on drain pan- code will vary state to state-
    In California, a drain pan wouldn't be required under that unit if it resides over your own structure. If there was another apartment or condo below you that could be damaged- then yes it would be required.
    I still would have installed one.

California Mechanical Code 310.2 does not apply throughout California?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12