Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 14 to 26 of 26
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Palm Beach,Fl.
    Posts
    960
    It's not that the drain switch was installed incorrectly, it simply wasn't installed! If this on a 2nd floor than it is code to have at least an emergency pan installed under the unit with a float switch to shut the system down. You have every right to go after the contractor for damages to your home.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaDave View Post
    It's not that the drain switch was installed incorrectly, it simply wasn't installed!
    It may have the optional internal float switch AS/Trane makes for that air handler.

    I completely agree that the whole thing should have been sitting in an emergency drain pan, with a float switch in the the pan.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Palm Beach,Fl.
    Posts
    960
    True, although if they didn't have the forethought to put an emergency pan under it, I doubt they ordered a factory spec float switch for it. I haven't used the factory switch yet because it's probably cost prohibitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaDave View Post
    I haven't used the factory switch yet because it's probably cost prohibitive.
    You can buy 2 1/2 EZ-Trap float switches for the price of the factory one, but the factory one takes maybe 1 minute to install and wire, including the time opening the package.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    55
    Thanks all. It wasn't a low-bid job-- I went with a new system because Florida Power & Light, the electric company, was doing a big rebate for 16 SEER systems if you went with one of their authorized contractors. I then fielded about 8 bids from those contractors, cross-checked with the BBB and with Angie's List, bothered the ever-lovin' crap out of you guys here on the forum, and chose my contractor. The install is less than a month old and I haven't yet had my inspection from the city, so if this doesn't go well I'll get the city inspector on his butt, as well as FPL and Angie's List.

    He actually just left the house-- my drain line was clogged and he flushed it out for me and is coming back tomorrow to address the float switch. He said he doesn't understand why the float switch didn't function as it was the factory switch that came with the unit and he installed it correctly. Ugh, we'll see.

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    3,824
    I hope the drain didn't have a piece of your insulation blanket in it.......lol
    Always here

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    55
    Nope, just gunk from probably many years of neglect by the previous owners of this house. Why exactly is that insulation blanket a bad idea? It really cut down on the noise quite a bit.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    3,501
    Note on drain pan- code will vary state to state-
    In California, a drain pan wouldn't be required under that unit if it resides over your own structure. If there was another apartment or condo below you that could be damaged- then yes it would be required.
    I still would have installed one.

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Gables, Florida, United States
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    Thanks all. It wasn't a low-bid job-- I went with a new system because Florida Power & Light, the electric company, was doing a big rebate for 16 SEER systems if you went with one of their authorized contractors. I then fielded about 8 bids from those contractors, cross-checked with the BBB and with Angie's List, bothered the ever-lovin' crap out of you guys here on the forum, and chose my contractor. The install is less than a month old and I haven't yet had my inspection from the city, so if this doesn't go well I'll get the city inspector on his butt, as well as FPL and Angie's List.

    He actually just left the house-- my drain line was clogged and he flushed it out for me and is coming back tomorrow to address the float switch. He said he doesn't understand why the float switch didn't function as it was the factory switch that came with the unit and he installed it correctly. Ugh, we'll see.
    Tell the contractor to install a wet switch which goes on the flr when activated with smallest water drops it shuts down unit if wired correctivly I install them all the time and youbdont have to remove the unit or if a secondary pan can't be installed made by divers tech I believe

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,624
    Even if it is not code to put a auxillary drain pan under most quality contractors would .why just do the bare minimum

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    55
    So do you guys think this may have compromised my equipment? On the GAM5, the blower is underneath the drain pan so it got wet.

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    3,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    So do you guys think this may have compromised my equipment? On the GAM5, the blower is underneath the drain pan so it got wet.
    I doubt it was damaged.

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northern VA 38 degrees N by 76 degrees W
    Posts
    5,060
    Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    Note on drain pan- code will vary state to state-
    In California, a drain pan wouldn't be required under that unit if it resides over your own structure. If there was another apartment or condo below you that could be damaged- then yes it would be required.
    I still would have installed one.

    California Mechanical Code 310.2 does not apply throughout California?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event