Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My brand new GAM5 air handler just leaked everywhere-- advice needed! (pics)

Post Likes

Angry My brand new GAM5 air handler just leaked everywhere-- advice needed! (pics)

Hi everyone,

About a month ago I had an American Standard GAM5 system installed in my home to replace my old Trane XE 900 system. All has been going well (aside from the noise) until tonight when I noticed a massive brown spot in my kitchen ceiling and a large puddle on the floor. I went upstairs and saw that the handler closet floor was soaked and that the handler was leaking water at a pretty significant rate. I've attached pictures, but the water had dripped down through the blower.

Apparently my worthless, worthless contractor didn't install the float switch correctly, but thankfully the unit is under warranty and the town has not yet done the final inspection for the permits I insisted on getting. Here are my questions:

1) Should I be worried about the water damaging the electronics, motors, or anything else in my system?
    2) How could the drain switch have been installed incorrectly? Isn't it pretty damned simple?
    3) Based on your experience (and not knowing the laws in Florida), do I have any recourse other than homeowner's insurance? If my contractor did a negligent job installing my system, I feel like his insurance should cover the damage and repair to my home.

I would greatly appreciate your answers to these questions and any other suggestions you might have.

Image 1: The puddle in the handler's closet
    Image 2: View from underneath the unit
    Image 3: The wet blower. There's also a leak coming from one of the seams on the bottom of the blower and the fan blades are wet (camera wouldn't fit)
    Image 4: Back of blower compartment
    Image 5: Back of blower compartment again
    Image 6: Damage to ceiling in kitchen
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    Hi everyone,

About a month ago I had an American Standard GAM5 system installed in my home to replace my old Trane XE 900 system. All has been going well (aside from the noise) until tonight when I noticed a massive brown spot in my kitchen ceiling and a large puddle on the floor. I went upstairs and saw that the handler closet floor was soaked and that the handler was leaking water at a pretty significant rate. I've attached pictures, but the water had dripped down through the blower.

Apparently my worthless, worthless contractor didn't install the float switch correctly, but thankfully the unit is under warranty and the town has not yet done the final inspection for the permits I insisted on getting. Here are my questions:

1) Should I be worried about the water damaging the electronics, motors, or anything else in my system?
    2) How could the drain switch have been installed incorrectly? Isn't it pretty damned simple?
    3) Based on your experience (and not knowing the laws in Florida), do I have any recourse other than homeowner's insurance? If my contractor did a negligent job installing my system, I feel like his insurance should cover the damage and repair to my home.

I would greatly appreciate your answers to these questions and any other suggestions you might have.

Image 1: The puddle in the handler's closet
    Image 2: View from underneath the unit
    Image 3: The wet blower. There's also a leak coming from one of the seams on the bottom of the blower and the fan blades are wet (camera wouldn't fit)
    Image 4: Back of blower compartment
    Image 5: Back of blower compartment again
    Image 6: Damage to ceiling in kitchen
    This would be a good time to contact the installing dealer and have them pay for the repairs, and install a secondary drain pan under the unit with accessories.

Florida should be under IRC for the inspection and the drain pan is required

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    This would be a good time to contact the installing dealer and have them pay for the repairs, and install a secondary drain pan under the unit with accessories.

Florida should be under IRC for the inspection and the drain pan is required
    By installing dealer do you mean the company/contractor that installed the unit or the distributor who sells the units to the contractor? And has this damaged my unit at all?

Post Likes
    By installing dealer do you mean the company/contractor that installed the unit or the distributor who sells the units to the contractor? And has this damaged my unit at all?
    The dealer that installed it. It probably has not harmed the equipment. The only time you would get the distributor involved is if they sold the equipment to the contractor and he was not an authorized Trane dealer then the liability would fall back on the distributor.

Post Likes
    But bottom line-- the installing dealer is responsible for fixing my unit and for the repairs to my home? I don't think I should have to pay to rip out, replace, re-skim, and re-paint a portion of my ceiling considering the fact that my dealer obviously didn't install it correctly. Is that an unreasonable assumption?

Post Likes
    But bottom line-- the installing dealer is responsible for fixing my unit and for the repairs to my home? I don't think I should have to pay to rip out, replace, re-skim, and re-paint a portion of my ceiling considering the fact that my dealer obviously didn't install it correctly. Is that an unreasonable assumption?
    That would be reasonable, that is why contractors are required to have insurance.

Post Likes
    Looking at the pics form last week about the air filter, I notice no trap on the drain line. Is one installed out of view?
    Always here

Post Likes
    If you do remove it (You should not have to) have him screw a media type filter frame to the bottom of the air handler and then sit it back on the frame. This would give you a 5" or 6" thick filter.
    Always here

Post Likes
    I just looked at the installation instructions, did he leave your copy?
    Always here

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    Looking at the pics form last week about the air filter, I notice no trap on the drain line. Is one installed out of view?
    Not that I can see. But do you concur with secondopinion in that this is my contractor's fault and he should be paying for the ceiling repair?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    These units do not require a trap in the drain. The coil is above the blower.
    GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!

A DECADE OF DOMINANCE! +3

Post Likes
    Yes I looked at the installation instructions. You may be correct. The pressure is positive at that point? Also if you read the directions, some specific sealing should occur at that connection if installed in the up flow position. Back to the drain....when it must be cleaned out or checked, should the tech just keep cutting the PVC each year? A trap or at least a tee would have been a point of entry.

Yes, it is my opinion the contractor should correct all water damage. It is also my opinion that the contractor could have done a better installation with the entire air handler. For example, a metal sleeve should have been installed in your office return. The tape he used acting as a short transfer duct will not last as long as the air handler. That is the point with any new installation, is to have it installed and be worry free, is it not?

I saw the video you posted. When you are done reading this, go remove the insulation blanket you have hanging in front of the air handler. It is not a good idea at all.
    Always here

Palm Desert home, Bear Valley Springs home & Maui condo
    Post Likes
    This looks like a very low bid install.
    Low bid may or may not get your ceiling fixed. He may not even come back.

Post Likes
    It's not that the drain switch was installed incorrectly, it simply wasn't installed! If this on a 2nd floor than it is code to have at least an emergency pan installed under the unit with a float switch to shut the system down. You have every right to go after the contractor for damages to your home.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaDave View Post
    It's not that the drain switch was installed incorrectly, it simply wasn't installed!
    It may have the optional internal float switch AS/Trane makes for that air handler.

I completely agree that the whole thing should have been sitting in an emergency drain pan, with a float switch in the the pan.

Post Likes
    True, although if they didn't have the forethought to put an emergency pan under it, I doubt they ordered a factory spec float switch for it. I haven't used the factory switch yet because it's probably cost prohibitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaDave View Post
    I haven't used the factory switch yet because it's probably cost prohibitive.
    You can buy 2 1/2 EZ-Trap float switches for the price of the factory one, but the factory one takes maybe 1 minute to install and wire, including the time opening the package.

Post Likes
    Thanks all. It wasn't a low-bid job-- I went with a new system because Florida Power & Light, the electric company, was doing a big rebate for 16 SEER systems if you went with one of their authorized contractors. I then fielded about 8 bids from those contractors, cross-checked with the BBB and with Angie's List, bothered the ever-lovin' crap out of you guys here on the forum, and chose my contractor. The install is less than a month old and I haven't yet had my inspection from the city, so if this doesn't go well I'll get the city inspector on his butt, as well as FPL and Angie's List.

He actually just left the house-- my drain line was clogged and he flushed it out for me and is coming back tomorrow to address the float switch. He said he doesn't understand why the float switch didn't function as it was the factory switch that came with the unit and he installed it correctly. Ugh, we'll see.

Post Likes
    I hope the drain didn't have a piece of your insulation blanket in it.......lol
    Always here

Post Likes
    Nope, just gunk from probably many years of neglect by the previous owners of this house. Why exactly is that insulation blanket a bad idea? It really cut down on the noise quite a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in