Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My brand new GAM5 air handler just leaked everywhere-- advice needed! (pics)

Palm Desert home, Bear Valley Springs home & Maui condo
    Post Likes
    Note on drain pan- code will vary state to state-
    In California, a drain pan wouldn't be required under that unit if it resides over your own structure. If there was another apartment or condo below you that could be damaged- then yes it would be required.
    I still would have installed one.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    Thanks all. It wasn't a low-bid job-- I went with a new system because Florida Power & Light, the electric company, was doing a big rebate for 16 SEER systems if you went with one of their authorized contractors. I then fielded about 8 bids from those contractors, cross-checked with the BBB and with Angie's List, bothered the ever-lovin' crap out of you guys here on the forum, and chose my contractor. The install is less than a month old and I haven't yet had my inspection from the city, so if this doesn't go well I'll get the city inspector on his butt, as well as FPL and Angie's List.

He actually just left the house-- my drain line was clogged and he flushed it out for me and is coming back tomorrow to address the float switch. He said he doesn't understand why the float switch didn't function as it was the factory switch that came with the unit and he installed it correctly. Ugh, we'll see.
    Tell the contractor to install a wet switch which goes on the flr when activated with smallest water drops it shuts down unit if wired correctivly I install them all the time and youbdont have to remove the unit or if a secondary pan can't be installed made by divers tech I believe

Post Likes
    Even if it is not code to put a auxillary drain pan under most quality contractors would .why just do the bare minimum

Post Likes
    So do you guys think this may have compromised my equipment? On the GAM5, the blower is underneath the drain pan so it got wet.

Palm Desert home, Bear Valley Springs home & Maui condo
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    So do you guys think this may have compromised my equipment? On the GAM5, the blower is underneath the drain pan so it got wet.
    I doubt it was damaged.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    Note on drain pan- code will vary state to state-
    In California, a drain pan wouldn't be required under that unit if it resides over your own structure. If there was another apartment or condo below you that could be damaged- then yes it would be required.
    I still would have installed one.

California Mechanical Code 310.2 does not apply throughout California?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in