Carrier system SEER rating

I'm trying to help a friend who's having some warranty problems with a new home. The home is a little over a year old. A question came up with one of the a/c systems in the home.

The unit wasn't cooling adequately, a tech came out and determined the system needed 1.5 lbs of 410A and added the refrigerant. I don't have any details on his diagnostic testing. My friend had mentioned to me that right after the home was built a leak was found and 'something' had to be 'welded'. I mentioned this to the tech and he said it appeared to him that the evap coil looked new. He said he wasn't sure, as this entire system was still fairlynew, but to him the evap coil looked 'very new'.

I asked him if he would mind getting the model numbers for me off of the equipment and he gladly provided it.

So, what I need to know is based on the model numbers I have listed below, is this enough information to determine the SEER rating of the equipment. The HO has had numerous problems with the builder as far as the home being to the specs in the sales contract so I thought if the coil had been changed (which I don't know) does the system have the SEER rating it was originally spec'd to have.

The numbers as best I can read from his service ticket are:

Indoor model - 58MXBO6O-F-12112
    Evap coil - CNPHP4821ATAABAA
    Outdoor model - 24ABC636A300 (these are the numbers he wrote on the service ticket, I can find a model ending with 003, but not 300..)

All Carrier equipment, according to the technician, using a TXV.

Is this enough information? How can I determine the SEER rating with this info? Do the components looked properly matched in general, or is there not a 'general rule' for matching these components?

I think her sales contract on the house specs a 16 SEER system for downstairs, but I'll have to ask to confirm that.

Any help is certainly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by merciles View Post
    I'm trying to help a friend who's having some warranty problems with a new home. The home is a little over a year old. A question came up with one of the a/c systems in the home.

The unit wasn't cooling adequately, a tech came out and determined the system needed 1.5 lbs of 410A and added the refrigerant. I don't have any details on his diagnostic testing. My friend had mentioned to me that right after the home was built a leak was found and 'something' had to be 'welded'. I mentioned this to the tech and he said it appeared to him that the evap coil looked new. He said he wasn't sure, as this entire system was still fairlynew, but to him the evap coil looked 'very new'.

I asked him if he would mind getting the model numbers for me off of the equipment and he gladly provided it.

So, what I need to know is based on the model numbers I have listed below, is this enough information to determine the SEER rating of the equipment. The HO has had numerous problems with the builder as far as the home being to the specs in the sales contract so I thought if the coil had been changed (which I don't know) does the system have the SEER rating it was originally spec'd to have.

The numbers as best I can read from his service ticket are:

Indoor model - 58MXBO6O-F-12112
    Evap coil - CNPHP4821ATAABAA
    Outdoor model - 24ABC636A300 (these are the numbers he wrote on the service ticket, I can find a model ending with 003, but not 300..)

All Carrier equipment, according to the technician, using a TXV.

Is this enough information? How can I determine the SEER rating with this info? Do the components looked properly matched in general, or is there not a 'general rule' for matching these components?

I think her sales contract on the house specs a 16 SEER system for downstairs, but I'll have to ask to confirm that.

Any help is certainly appreciated.
    You can go to AHRI and list the equipment and it will give you the rating of the system

The Carrier website doesn't have this outdoor model and evap coil matched with the 58MXB060, but the furnace will work with the AC. The Outdoor Condenser is a nominal 16 SEER (24ABC6). The indoor furnace is a 92% efficient but is a PSC and single stage furnace which could led me to think it might be slightly lower than 16 SEER.

So the ac is still not working well? Ask your friend how is the airflow from the registers? Did the Tech check the temperature leaving the coil? The static pressure? The ductwork?
    You can call me Sam

It should be a crime to be a mechanical engineer in San Diego
    Summer Design Temperature: 83 F Dry Bulb ~ 69 F Wet Bulb (California Climate Zone 7)

Thanks for looking that up. I couldnt connect the dots on the AHRI site with those model numbers.

I saw the condensing unit was a 3 ton and it appears the evap coil is rated at 4 ton and wanted to find out if that combination is good, bad or indifferent to the SEER rating.

I'll find out later today how it's been working since the service visit. I don't know what diagnostics he performed while he was there but I'll check the service ticket and see whats written up.

Thanks again.

Now, I get up this morning, and MY downstairs unit, a 3-4 year old Lennox, isnt working. TXV is iced...

Quote Originally Posted by hcong View Post
    So the ac is still not working well? Ask your friend how is the airflow from the registers? Did the Tech check the temperature leaving the coil? The static pressure? The ductwork?
    They are replacing the evaporator coil and 'kinked copper line', so I guess it wasnt working well.

When the technician that added the Puron was there, I asked him about having to add refrigerant, (it was the second time in a year) to the system and if he found the leak. His answer was that since it was less than 2lbs being added, he did not have to locate any leak AND that adding refrigerant in that amount was not abnormal due to 'expansion' of the line set and components during this heat wave.

I asked her to talk to the builder who's handling the warranty issues about his response and he called out either another company or another technician who found the evap coil defective and 'a kinked copper line' so they are replacing both, under warranty, tomorrow.