Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    You'll find what is essentially my reply in the pros forum.
    I honestly wish it WAS covered under GOODMANS warranty. Problem is, it's not.
    I'm just telling the original poster what our company does, and how a large chunk of dealers operate.

hvacvegas - I appreciate your inputs....seems quite a few contractors do operate this way, however, if you read the details of the Goodcare agreement very carefully and with an open mind I don't think the intention when it was written was to allow contractors to charge diagnostic fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave27519 View Post
    hvacvegas - I appreciate your inputs....seems quite a few contractors do operate this way, however, if you read the details of the Goodcare agreement very carefully and with an open mind I don't think the intention when it was written was to allow contractors to charge diagnostic fees.
    How did goodman feel about it?
    Sounds like your beef is with goodman, not your contractor.

If your not happy with the service you recieved, I would suggest you find a contractor that is willing to do the diagnostic for free.

By the way, the document you produced may not be the same as your warranty coverage. Your using documentation from a previous year, and is an informational document, intended for dealers. Not whats spelled out as your warranty coverage.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

How did goodman feel about it?
    Sounds like your beef is with goodman, not your contractor.

If your not happy with the service you recieved, I would suggest you find a contractor that is willing to do the diagnostic for free.
    Really the beef is with both. I don't think the contractor is justified to charge the fee based on the wording of the contract. However, Goodman is not enforcing their contractors to fulfill warranty work based on the wording in their Goodcare contract (my opinion). From the posts on this Forum, sounds like there are a mix of contractors who do and do not charge the diagnostics fee. I just need to find a local one who agrees with my interpretation of the Goodcare contract and does not charge the fee. The other option is to get a lawyer, but I hate lawyers and I'm sure that would cost a lot more than a lifetime of diagnostic fees

especially if they already are reimbursing contractors for diagnostics?
    Ask goodman if they're being payed for it. Apparently, they're not.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Ask goodman if they're being payed for it. Apparently, they're not.
    You are probably right. Maybe what happened is Goodman cut the warranty diagnostic labor allowance while at the same time started looking the other way as contractors make up the difference by charging the customer a "diagnostic" fee. Basically Goodman taking the money from the contractor who in turn passes that along to the HO?

You are probably right. Maybe what happened is Goodman cut the warranty diagnostic labor allowance while at the same time started looking the other way as contractors make up the difference by charging the customer a "diagnostic" fee. Basically Goodman taking the money from the contractor who in turn passes that along to the HO?
    If that is truely what is occuring, then it would just be goodman not living up to their end of the bargin.

Dealer still has no contract with you, and has no requirement to even perform warranty service to begin with.

Which is why I doubt you'll find a contractor that won't require a diagonostic fee.

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-10-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Non AOP member

A few questions.
    Setting aside the diagnostic fee-
    Are you happy with the contractor?
    Did he do a quality installation?
    Does he show up on time?
    Is he professional?

If you answered yes- I'd pay the man before I called anyone else out. That's my opinion. Is it really worth it to call out someone else who didn't install the system? Who knows what quality work you will receive.

On my installs- I charge a diagnostic after a year. I have to. There's no real money to be made on warranty work- no matter how the manufacturer spins their words. I will waive the fee for certain situations but I spell it all out in their contract.

Remember- on a quality installation which I'm assuming you have- warranty work is rare. If you are lucky- this could be the only repair needed for years- assuming you have regular service performed.

I say pay the man & move on. It's not worth rolling the dice on a new contractor who didn't install the system.

Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    but I spell it all out in their contract.
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-10-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Non AOP member

If my co. originally installed the system, and we sold you the extended warranty, I would come out and fix it for "FREE" and deal with Goodman on the issue. If I am not happy with what Goodman paid, I would still sell there products, I just would never sell any of my customers another one of there warranties. this is a cut and dry method, and the most fair for everyone involved, period! If your worried about making a few bucks later on, if you might anticipate any issues, add it to you total in the beginning, you don't argue with your customer that spent thousands "with you" and is now "HOT" or "COLD" over a simple diagnostics fee, this is not an ethical way of doing business. If a simple diagnostics fee is going to keep bread off your table, you need to find another line of work, I don't know about anyone else in this business, but I am making money, and plenty of it.....
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by JarrodS View Post

JarrodS - I think you are spot on. If the contractor tells you there is no "fee" or "out of pocket expense" I would get that in writing.

The more I think about it, I don't think it's likely the omission of "diagnostics" from the contract was a simple oversight. I'm sure Goodman did not put the contract out there without thorough review from their legal dept, so it's more likely they left the loophole open on purpose for contractors who want to charge this fee while not "officially" telling their contractors to go ahead and charge it.

When I spoke to Goodman warranty dept supervisor, they did not take a strong position either way on the fee but did offer to reimburse me without much of a fight. Seems to me their strategy is most people will just pay the fee and shut up. On the rare occasion that someone (like me) actually calls to complain they will quickly offer to reimburse the fee. They probably save significant $$ this way, especially if they reduce the warranty reimbursement amount they pay contractors by about the same as the fee. Legally they probably believe they are covered due to the vague wording in the contract. Although I do think a good lawyer would have a good chance of winning the argument in favor of not allowing the fee in court based on the contract wording.

My real issue is not so much the fee (which is not that much), but the principal that I feel the whole process is deceptive and unethical.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-10-2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Edit quote

Just easier to pay the fee to the contractor and have Goodman reimburse you. You are still getting the work for free.

Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by jdblack View Post
    Just easier to pay the fee to the contractor and have Goodman reimburse you. You are still getting the work for free.

Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2
    But why should the customer have to deal with Goodman? he bought the warranty from the A/C Co. seems to me if it's going to be a burden on the A/C Co. to sell these warranties, stop selling them. When I take my truck to the dealership "were I bought it" and have a repair done under warranty, I don't contact GM, unless of course I am not happy about something.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast