Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The 13AJN is a 410 unit. Are you sure they changed the TXV on that coil to a 410 model? Those are a bear to change. A "sharp" contractor would have just put a 13AJA R22 unit on that coil and been fine. Or since you had a deluxe unit, changed the fan motor as others have suggested. You can't flush coils and get all of the mineral oil out. If they tried, there's likely some flush still in it. If they didn't, there's likely mineral oil in your system.
    Hello BaldLoonie,
    They changed the TXV on The Rheem (air handler) model number is RCHA-24A2GG14. The Ruud 13AJN was the outdoor compressor that was replaced. Could the residual mineral oil account for the coils freezing?

John explain to me how changing the fan motor will help, I am not at all familar with Rheem equipment. Or are you refering to the OFM not the IFM.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie12 View Post
    They came out again, said the refrigerant was low, and that the Rheem air handler's fan needs to be sped up to distribute the air throughout the house, they adjusted it upwards but said that it may not even be enough to achieve the 20 degree split they were looking for. When they arrived it was only 10, before he left he said that it was up to 15, but that they would continue to work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    First the more air across the coil the warmer the coil temperature and the smaller the split. Less air would give you a colder coil and the greater the split.
    I am glad someone caught that, this was the first thing that caught my attention. So they speed up the motor to achieve a greater split?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

All I can say is wow.
    Bad OFM warrants a condenser & TXV swap & they didn't even get that right.

This is why I don't install condensers only. New system or nothing. Mine all work though & customers aren't posting here about shoddy workmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    All I can say is wow.
    Bad OFM warrants a condenser & TXV swap & they didn't even get that right.

This is why I don't install condensers only. New system or nothing. Mine all work though & customers aren't posting here about shoddy workmanship.
    If there is a match to be made with existing and new equipment, then a condenser only replacement (and its required accessories) is something to do.

Why replace a system if the ODU is the issue- dead compressor, bad coil, act of Mother Nature/God to ODU, improper install(size, placement,component), etc.

In this case OP got poor advice(from provided info) on course of action and got hosed by someone that seems to know little about this field.

As for finding someone reliable, this site has a contractors map, http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispla...Contractor-Map.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    If there is a match to be made with existing and new equipment, then a condenser only replacement (and its required accessories) is something to do.

Why replace a system if the ODU is the issue- dead compressor, bad coil, act of Mother Nature/God to ODU, improper install(size, placement,component), etc.

In this case OP got poor advice(from provided info) on course of action and got hosed by someone that seems to know little about this field.

As for finding someone reliable, this site has a contractors map, http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispla...Contractor-Map.
    I agree with the second half of your post but will respectfully agree to disagree on 1st part. My response was aimed at his equipment.
    R22 coil in AH, I won't waste my time or customers time & money w/ a TXV swap. New AH would have been the correct install w/ that condenser & that's how I would have bid it (if it needed a new condenser). Someone married that install.
    However- the real concern is selling the condenser when all it needed was a motor.

I would ask them to bring my old unit back or make the new one work as they assured you everything would work fine and now it dont ,

Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    I agree with the second half of your post but will respectfully agree to disagree on 1st part. My response was aimed at his equipment.
    R22 coil in AH, I won't waste my time or customers time & money w/ a TXV swap. New AH would have been the correct install w/ that condenser & that's how I would have bid it (if it needed a new condenser). Someone married that install.
    However- the real concern is selling the condenser when all it needed was a motor.
    in all fairness to the contractor I have seen many condensers that were less than 10-years old that warranted being replaced becuase of a bad fan motor even without a component failure. I see many Rheem condensers with coils so badly oxidized that they needed replacement in less than 10 years; the OP is in Florida.

So yes it appears this contractor has limited skills and knowledge but we do not know for sure the condenser did not need to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie12 View Post
    Hello BaldLoonie,
    They changed the TXV on The Rheem (air handler) model number is RCHA-24A2GG14. The Ruud 13AJN was the outdoor compressor that was replaced. Could the residual mineral oil account for the coils freezing?
    The RCHA is a coil, may be in an air handler. It is a royal pain to change those TXVs. I suppose he might have but then again, maybe not!. Did they leave the old TXV around or the box the new one came in?

The RCHA is a coil, may be in an air handler. It is a royal pain to change those TXVs. I suppose he might have but then again, maybe not!. Did they leave the old TXV around or the box the new one came in?

He stated that there was a clogged capillary tube thatwas clogged during the TXV installation. Sounds like the equalizing tube being brazed into the suction line by an unskilled person.

No they took everything with them, tomorrow I have 3 contractor's coming in to look at the install, and get new bids. I do know that when he was installing the TXV he showed me the capillary and the install, after he was finished with the torch, he said "Oh S***" excused himself and called another installer. There was a lot of that happening while he was here. They've been out here about 28 hours in total (4 hours x 2 men on 3 days + 4 hours 1 man), it was installed the first week of July, and it hasn't been cold once, it's been dry, and cool. The air trickles out of the vents.

I've lost faith that the old contractor can get this to work properly and the air handler is starting to make some pretty strange vibrating sounds. I have turned it off for the moment and will just make due with the ceiling fans. I just want to move on at this point.

Im thinking a new coil with a new 410a expansion valve

Jeez. Did they throw in a jar of vaseline with that condenser??

Sounds like cond fan motor was all you needed. Id never put a 410a condenser on an evap thats been running 22. Stupid and will void the warranty on some units.

I bet he cut one of your distributor tubes and brazed it closed in his futile attempt to repair it.

Hopefully youll get a competent contractor out there who can remedy your debacle. Good luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast