+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adding Feature to web site?

Post Likes
    Any chance we can add a place to just select that i would like email notifications to the thread instead of having to reply to post and checking box for email notifications? Sometimes i just want to read about the topic and not feel the need to reply. What do you think?

Post Likes
    you have only replied 77 times in 3 years........go back to sleep.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    I think thats why this would be useful for him, he reads more than he posts...

I'm pretty sure they will have to upgrade the forum software for that to be possible, they are running about 5-6 years behind the times here in that regard.

Post Likes

just post a

or as appropriate

nobody'll be the wiser

Post Likes

Sun Valley, eh?

Post Likes

Cool

yep, thats why i have my shades on.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    No but seriously this would be a good feature. Sometimes i am wanting to gain knowledge on things i dont know about in certain topics and i would like to read about and dont want to put a non topic reply just to get email notifications. Other times i dont reply because the answer has been stated and no need to re-state the answer just for it to count on my posts.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by lalo56
    and I dont want to put a non topic reply just to get email notifications.

Personally I hate the e-mail notifications. But to each his own. Is it that hard to just "check back"? Theres always something you could add. Like a leading question....... If this was my site, I'd just say "Sorry, you'll have to do your 5 seconds work for the information you want.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    And thats fine. I'm just putting in feedback. I would accept any answer. I learn from here and books and specially from my expiriences. It's just convinient when people replying to a topic to be sent to your inbox that you are interested in instead of having to search for it. Im not being mean here just trying to make it convinient if not only for me but for others. If not possible, no problem, i love this site.

Post Likes

create a folder in your PC

name the folder something clever like "HVAC-talk". In that folder, save threads that are

technically interesting

PDF threads (pretty dam funny)

threads that you got to before the moderators did.

Post Likes

Re: create a folder in your PC

Originally posted by l•k
    name the folder something clever like "HVAC-talk". In that folder, save threads that are

technically interesting

I dont understand what you are saying but i think you are being sarcastic, or a hidden joke to it. Im just putting my honest feedback into the site. Something what would help me keep better track of threads im interested in. I can also joke around but most of the time i choose not to and not reply just to get an email notification.

It makes it difficult when u are trying to keep track of other forums regarding PLC's, HVAC-talk, micro computer and such. So again this is only a convinient feature.

Maybe u say saving the link but i dont like saving links. Again just sending feedback in.

Post Likes
    Most times I think LK is on crack too.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes

Re: Re: create a folder in your PC

Originally posted by lalo56
    Originally posted by l•k

technically interesting

I dont understand what you are saying but i think you are being sarcastic, or a hidden joke to it. Im just putting my honest feedback into the site. Something what would help me keep better track of threads im interested in. I can also joke around but most of the time i choose not to and not reply just to get an email notification.

It makes it difficult when u are trying to keep track of other forums regarding PLC's, HVAC-talk, micro computer and such. So again this is only a convinient feature.

Maybe u say saving the link but i dont like saving links. Again just sending feedback in.
    It's a serious suggestion. You can copy and paste the thread in it's entirety to your hard drive. This will allow you to review at your convenience. I have a couple of them saved that I've incorporated into my training.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

jzernick Guest
    Hey Lalo56,

As eMedia Product Manager for Contracting Business, I have the responsibility to set the direction for future technology. Our plan is to upgrade the version of the VBulletin software that HVAC-Talk runs on. With the latest version according to Jelsoft, the developer of VBulletin, you can subscribe to threads and forums with email notification. So my hope is that this will address your need.

Now the tough question to answer. When will we upgrade to version 3.6.0 from the current version 1.1.6. Unfortunately we will have to do a significant amount of work since you can not upgrade from 1.1.6 directly to 3.6.0. You must upgrade to some intermediate versions before implementing the latest release. Right now we are planning and setting up development servers to go through the process first as a test before doing it on the live site.

There will be an announcement before we go live and I want to have a development server open to the public to try it out before we do the final changeover to uncover any issues and to tweak the system.

Stay tuned we are working on adding many of the new features that will make this discussion site better for the membership.

I know announcing something too far in advance can set expectation and frustrate users, but I wanted people to know that we are working to continue to improve the site and meet the members needs.

--John

Post Likes

Cool re: File Save as . . .

if U R a regular but never saved a file, that means U R just slumming, eh?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in