Thread: rheem 410a availability?

Post Likes
    It's that time when homeowner's arm themselves with just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Scenario:
    The coil on my 24+ yr old carrier appears to be toast. The existing size is for my NC 1700 sq.ft. ranch is 2.5 ton & 80,000 btu gas heater.

I've gotten pricing from a couple of Tranes both XR & XL (It appears I live in a Trane town) a Bryant Preferred and Rheem Classic in r-22. All but one company (Rheem dealer) was comfortable installing either refridgerant.

After calling the distributor to quiz about installers, the gent stated that I would likely be quoted only r22 from Rheem contractors and currently only had 410a air-handlers.

Now, is this because Rheem is late to the 410a party, dealer/contractor apathy, beyond the Rheem installers comfort level all or none of the above? Plus, the distributor stated that 410 systems were hundreds more expensive which, except for the lineset, contradicted other contractors. Maybe a tad higher, not hundreds for the system alone. hmmmmmm.

Sit tight, i've got more thread coming.

regards.

[Edited by potentate on 09-05-2006 at 04:58 PM]

Post Likes
    Hard to say. Don't have Rheem pricing at home but I don't recall the R410a being noticably more than R22. Our supplier has it in stock. Could be the mindset of your local supplier and/or the dealers they sell through.

Ok, you got my curiosity up. I'm logging into my work computer from home (gotta love that technology, free too) to see how the prices vary. A/C wise at our prices, the customer might pay $100 more for a RANL & coil over RAND & coil. So it isn't Rheem!

Trane doesn't have R410a in a 13 SEER. If you buy a 14 SEER and use it on a standard blower (existing furnace or standard new furnace) you'll end up with 12.5 to a max of 13 SEER though you will pay a good $$$ bit over the 13 SEER outdoor units.

Post Likes
    some mfg's and dealers still think r22 is going to stay and are to stupid to move into the 21 century 2010 is dead line for r22 and a lot of stuborn dealers and some mfg's

Post Likes
    Originally posted by BaldLoonie

Trane doesn't have R410a in a 13 SEER. If you buy a 14 SEER and use it on a standard blower (existing furnace or standard new furnace) you'll end up with 12.5 to a max of 13 SEER though you will pay a good $$$ bit over the 13 SEER outdoor units.
    Well, that was worth the price of registering. That would explain why all three Trane dealers were pushing VS as THE primary option in my prices, despite my concerns of over-complicating, needs and my budget. Would that have been so hard to tell me? My old system didn't have any compromises in comfort (hot or cold) and for the money, VS seems over-the-top for piedmont NC region.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not overly hung up on which refridgerant to purchase but, for this much mulah, I should be somewhat informed. We're not moving and I've gotta live with the decision for years.

thanks.

Post Likes
    Rheem has had R410A units for years (since at least 2000-originally it was the RAML), what the distributor in your area stocks is between him and his contractors. If they havent ordered it or wanted it in the past, odds are he's not going stocking them to collect dust until his customers start demanding it or he can convince them of the iminent change.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by potentate
    It's that time when homeowner's arm themselves with just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Scenario:
    The coil on my 24+ yr old carrier appears to be toast. The existing size is for my NC 1700 sq.ft. ranch is 2.5 ton & 80,000 btu gas heater.

I've gotten pricing from a couple of Tranes both XR & XL (It appears I live in a Trane town) a Bryant Preferred and Rheem Classic in r-22. All but one company (Rheem dealer) was comfortable installing either refridgerant.

After calling the distributor to quiz about installers, the gent stated that I would likely be quoted only r22 from Rheem contractors and currently only had 410a air-handlers.

Now, is this because Rheem is late to the 410a party, dealer/contractor apathy, beyond the Rheem installers comfort level all or none of the above? Plus, the distributor stated that 410 systems were hundreds more expensive which, except for the lineset, contradicted other contractors. Maybe a tad higher, not hundreds for the system alone. hmmmmmm.

Sit tight, i've got more thread coming.

regards.

[Edited by potentate on 09-05-2006 at 04:58 PM]

This is Turtle.

You ask a Bryant and a Trane dealer as to the 410-a systems being higher in price than the 22 units of their brand of equipment ? they said no difference.

You ask a Rheem dealer as to the 410-a systems being higher in price of their Rheem equipment than the 22 systems ? He says a $100.00 or better.

Then you say the rheem dealer is liing because trane and Bryant has no difference in price but then Rheem should charge the same for their equipment because Trane and Bryant has no difference. Earth to Pot , The Whole saler that the dealer buys the equipment set the price and the price from one dealer to the other can be as much as $500.00 or more because of their volume buying on their account and what type freon units they want to move more that the other. Now Yes Pot , I'm looking at a Rheem & Carrier [ Bryant sane thing ] Cost sheet of their equipment. i see here the Carrier / Bryant is $67.08 more for the 410-A unit verses the 22 system. now i look at the Rheem cost between a 410-A unit , the same as the Bryant size and SEER and it is $131.60 more for the 410-A system verses the 22 system. Now i get a 410-A discout from Rheem and if i took the volume discout from my cost it would cost me about $330.00 more for the 410-A verses the 22 system by giving up my 22 discount for volume buying of the 22 equipment. Right now my warehouse is wanting to move out the stock of 22 equipment and is discounting the 22 stuff to move it. Now in about 2 or 3 months when they move the 22 stuff out they may raise the price of the 22 equipment back up and might cost less for the 410-A stuff and more for the 22 stuff. Now in about 3 months when the warehouse change the prices of the Rheem verse the 22 and 410-A stuff , I will e-mail you and bring you up to date on the prices are for each of the 410-A verses the 22 equipment. Sometimes the price of the equipment may float on weekly basis at times and then other time stay the same.

Oh Yea, You need to tell the the Bryant dealer he liied to you for there is a $67.08 price difference right now between the 22 verses the higher cost 410-A and can be floating of the prices weekly. Now i don't have a trane price list for they are so high , i don't even ask for a price sheet. Pot you need to get you price sheets before you start calling people a liier.

TURTLE

Post Likes
    This is Turtle.

You ask a Bryant and a Trane dealer as to the 410-a systems being higher in price than the 22 units of their brand of equipment ? they said no difference.

You ask a Rheem dealer as to the 410-a systems being higher in price of their Rheem equipment than the 22 systems ? He says a $100.00 or better.

Then you say the rheem dealer is liing because trane and Bryant has no difference in price but then Rheem should charge the same for their equipment because Trane and Bryant has no difference. Earth to Pot , The Whole saler that the dealer buys the equipment set the price and the price from one dealer to the other can be as much as $500.00 or more because of their volume buying on their account and what type freon units they want to move more that the other. Now Yes Pot , I'm looking at a Rheem & Carrier [ Bryant sane thing ] Cost sheet of their equipment. i see here the Carrier / Bryant is $67.08 more for the 410-A unit verses the 22 system. now i look at the Rheem cost between a 410-A unit , the same as the Bryant size and SEER and it is $131.60 more for the 410-A system verses the 22 system. Now i get a 410-A discout from Rheem and if i took the volume discout from my cost it would cost me about $330.00 more for the 410-A verses the 22 system by giving up my 22 discount for volume buying of the 22 equipment. Right now my warehouse is wanting to move out the stock of 22 equipment and is discounting the 22 stuff to move it. Now in about 2 or 3 months when they move the 22 stuff out they may raise the price of the 22 equipment back up and might cost less for the 410-A stuff and more for the 22 stuff. Now in about 3 months when the warehouse change the prices of the Rheem verse the 22 and 410-A stuff , I will e-mail you and bring you up to date on the prices are for each of the 410-A verses the 22 equipment. Sometimes the price of the equipment may float on weekly basis at times and then other time stay the same.

Oh Yea, You need to tell the the Bryant dealer he liied to you for there is a $67.08 price difference right now between the 22 verses the higher cost 410-A and can be floating of the prices weekly. Now i don't have a trane price list for they are so high , i don't even ask for a price sheet. Pot you need to get you price sheets before you start calling people a liier.

TURTLE [/B][/QUOTE]

Post Likes
    Originally posted by turtle

TURTLE
    [/B][/QUOTE]

heh

Re-read my last paragraph, mate. I tried convey is that the others (trane & bryant) were slightly higher for 410a. A non-issue install and A token bit more, not a "hundreds" higher as mentioned Rheem distributor.

I'm trying to give Rheem some love. For now, they appear happy swinging the Corsaires to new home contractors. That's cool, but perhaps not for me. As they say, your mileage my vary.

I appreciate the passion, Turtle, and thanks for all the responses.

Post Likes
    Hopefully, you all do relaize that a pound of R410A costs about 5 tmes as much as a pound of R-22 on a wholesale basis. Surely your contractor wouldnt charge the same for a pound of each. The compressors are different too, there may be a cost difference in them, the TXV's are different, the pressure switches are different... etc.

Why isnt it fair to see a slightly higher equipent cost when there may be as much as 10 pounds of refrigerant included?

Dont get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you select an R22 machine, on the contrary, I highly suggest you consider the lifecycle costs and look toward the 410A. It may very well cost more to repair an R-22 system in 5 or 6 years. A hundred bucks or so now is probably a wise investment.

And to be totaly honest, cost is not what determines price. Yeah it plays into it but price is based on the market.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    check out http://www.410a.com to help decide which refrigerent you want.

Post Likes
    Dash, Shouldnt you be working??????

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    This isn't work??

Yeah,spend too much time here,don't really know why,just another addiction I guess.

Post Likes
    dash has a sense come over him when an R410a post is made Kinda like Robo when Goodman needs defending

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in