Thread: Oil Boiler Recommendations

Post Likes

Oil Boiler Recommendations

I have a few estimates for replacing my oil boiler and need soem help choosing. The two I am most seriously considering are comparable in price. One is for a Bryant BW4 and the other is Weil McLain WGO4. (I also had an estimate for a Peerless but I don't have the model handy.) Which one should I go with and why?

Are there other reasonably price oil boilers I should consider? I think Buderus and higher end units are probably out of the price range I am willing to pay, but feel free to try to convice me otherwise.

Thanks for the advice.

Post Likes
    If this is a hot water boiler (not steam) I would be looking at Buderus. If you currently have a domestic coil in the boiler, I would be looking at installing an indirect water heater as well.
    GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!

A DECADE OF DOMINANCE! +3

Post Likes
    gregp, why buderus? quality, efficiency, both, or other?

Also, I had a separate post on whether to do coil or indirect water heater, the gist of which is, does indirect really use much less oil?

Post Likes
    I am not a big fan of the Weil McLain gold series oil boilers. We use Burnham V8 series for entry level oil then Burnham multi pass oil for the next level and Buderus for top level. Maintaining an oil boiler is very important and both Burnham and Buderus are service friendly.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Post Likes
    The Buderus is a 3 pass boiler, very efficient. As was said earlier, service friendly easy to get to the flue passages with the swing-out door. If you notice, you cannot buy a European boiler with a domestic coil in them because they are not efficient. The Europeans are all about efficiency, especially in Germany. With a domestic coil, you are maintaining hot water in the boiler at all times. A boiler with an indirect only fires when there is a call for heat or the indirect needs to heat water. They are very well insulated with minimal stan-by loss.
    GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!

A DECADE OF DOMINANCE! +3

Post Likes
    I'm with Gregp, Buderus is a great value and when setup properly get excellent fuel mileage.

Post Likes
    I agree buderus is the only boiler to consider. I would opt for a riello burner. If you have a good company that is very familiar with the blue flame burner then I would go with that. As a served tech working on oil for 16 yrs I would personally not go with anything else. Good luck

Post Likes
    The blue flame is a little pricey, but they run pretty clean.
    Didn't stop me from putting one in my brothers house though.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R Mannino View Post
    The blue flame is a little pricey, but they run pretty clean.
    Didn't stop me from putting one in my brothers house though.
    Yea, cause he got free labor.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Called to get a Buderus estimate and the guy tried to convince me over the phone that EK 2000 was better for my baseboard radiators. He said he likes Buderus for cast iron radiators, but EK 2000 for baseboard radiators. Any thoughts about that? EK 2000 seems have lovers and haters, and not much in between. I do want efficiency, but I don't want hefty service bills or a headache in finding someone to service it.

I have had four different estimates and not one has recommended Buderus. Why is that?

Post Likes
    The ek is an excellent system for heat and domestic hot water, as long as your tech and installer have been through the company seminar you shouldn't have any issues.

Post Likes

System 2000

Quote Originally Posted by mlstark View Post
    The ek is an excellent system for heat and domestic hot water, as long as your tech and installer have been through the company seminar you shouldn't have any issues.

Yep EK's good too, in my market is even more money than a Buderus.

Today the boss and I were just wondering where you've been Monty (I'm watching Tebow right now)

Post Likes
    Hey Ronnie, been working 12 hour days fixing chillers and rooftop ACs, did a little fishing in between though. And a belated happy birthday to ya.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by newlyn View Post
    I have a few estimates for replacing my oil boiler and need soem help choosing. The two I am most seriously considering are comparable in price. One is for a Bryant BW4 and the other is Weil McLain WGO4. (I also had an estimate for a Peerless but I don't have the model handy.) Which one should I go with and why?

Are there other reasonably price oil boilers I should consider? I think Buderus and higher end units are probably out of the price range I am willing to pay, but feel free to try to convice me otherwise.

Thanks for the advice.
    The Bryant boiler is actually a EW Empire II Water Series Boiler made by Dunkirk. It's a great boiler. So is the Weil Mclain. The Peerless is most likely a WBV/WV series boiler. Hopefully the boiler you purchase will be fired by a Riello burner. Buderus is a good system too. But I aggree they are overpriced. I installed a Baisi boiler in my home, with a Riello burner and phase III indirect water heater. The trick is to try and have a system installed that fires on demand rather than one that maintains temperature. It will save you on stand by loss. Another very important point is to have a heat loss calculation preformed so that you don't by a system that is bigger than you need.
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Post Likes
    How are crown boilers? I thought I was up on oil fired equipment but I am hearing about some different stuff. Most of the time people switch to propane or natural here.

Post Likes
    As stated above, the Bryant boiler is made by Dunkirk and is a descent boiler. I would personally put it above the Weil McLain. They both are vertical sectional boilers that use pretty tight pin spacing to allow better heat transfer. They both can become soot monsters. The Weil McLain can had refractory issues over the years as it is more of a skinnier shorter flame design. The buderus is a 3 pass boiler and uses horizontal sections. They are 3 pass boilers, European designed, and the cast iron has silicon formulated into the metal which allows for better expansion and dramatically reduces the chance of casting failure related to thermal shock. Maintenance is considerably easier. If you were investing $100 in a new pair of shoes I would say take your chances. I am sure up will be investing upwards of 50x that cost and you are investing in apiece of equipment that will last you 30yrs. Just my $.02

Post Likes
    This spring I split a weil McLain and it was basically plugged, there too hard to brush out and have poor access in areas. I like the crown 4 pass, almost enjoyable to maintain.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    How are crown boilers? I thought I was up on oil fired equipment but I am hearing about some different stuff. Most of the time people switch to propane or natural here.
    Crown, New Yorker and Dunkirk are all owned by the same corporation but operate independently. I a haven't seen too many Crowns out in the field over the last few years but they are still quite active. They had a seminar on their condensing boilers about a year ago at Suffolk County Community College and had a truck outside with live units that we could check out.
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Post Likes
    Why is it no one even mentions Viessmann. same price as the buderus and beautiful to clean and service and very efficient. None of the American oil boilers are newer than 1950s technology and i don't know anyone who actually likes cleaning a WM, Dunkirk, Slantfin etc.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in