Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am about to replace my exising HVAC system. Prices everywhere across the board. Here are my questions.

What are the differences betwwen Trane and American Standard. I am told they are the same, but then American Standard tell me they are better, and of course Trane tells me the same.

The other unit I have seen presented is Armstrong. What's the differences? Is it all just marketing?

What other brands/makes/models should I consider?

What about a whole house air cleaner. I have seen AccuClean (Amer. Stand.), CleanEffects (Trane), and Honeywell (F300 and F500).

I live in Southern California, where it really doesn't get too cold most of the time. The system uses natural gas.

I am looking at a 14 seer AC, a variable speed 100,000 BTU furnace and some type of whole house air cleaner.

I am getting pretty tired of all the BS, marketing, bait and switch, etc., and prices that boggle my mind. How can one company tell me the same "stuff is say $5000.00 and another $15,000. Never mind, that is probably a rhetorical question!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

[Edited by drsteve on 09-05-2006 at 12:54 PM]

A-S and Trane indoor units, packaged units, B model outdoor units are 100% alike. The A-S Allegiance and Trane XR and XLi are mechanically the same, different cosmetics.

Armstrong is a competing brand, owned by but not made by Lennox.

http://www.johnmills.net/work/workpage.html

What differences are there between the brands? Or are they pretty much alike. Why would a consumer choose one vs. the other?

Cosmetics, sales hype. It' why people will buy a certain color car. As far as air cleanliness goes, I have had no problems with the H-W.
    Tom D. - Long-time Journeyman from CT.

On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter what it does.

So are you saying there is not much of a difference between Trane/A.S. and Admiral?

they all have there perks,, the main thing is how it is installed, install it right and all is good, install the thing poorly and you will pay...ask around and see what the neighbors have done,,,word of mouth can teach you alot......good luck

I get the sense, that most units seem fairly good and reliable, as long as they are installed correctly. I get the sense that there are no outstanding units that really stick out above the rest. I have heard that "Goodman" equipment might not have the best track record, but other that that brand, they all seem fairly reliable. But then that is coming from the very little I have gleemed from my experiences and research.

As long as you compare apples to apples. All major brands have builder quality and premium quality. Some have a midgrade that falls between. You need the model numbers to compare the features of the equipment that is spec'd.

As one doc to another doc I believe is what you are saying is that for comparable models (say a 14 SEER A.C. and a variable speed 100,000 btu furnace), that most of the equiptment out there is rather reliable and comparable.

Is this correct? Thanks

Everyone has their own opinion of what's good & not and nobody will agree. About any unit PROPERLY INSTALLED will give good service. There are differences in warranties, servicability, SOUND LEVEL, but overall, they will do the job. Lower priced units tend to be cheaper constructed and noisier. As you go up in price either within a brand or to a more expensive brand, you can get better fit-n-finish, quieter unit, more features such as pressure protection on the outdoor unit. If you look at my comparison page on furnaces & air conditioners, it talks about some of that.

Thanks. I tried to go to your website, but at work we are unable to run java due to security reasons. Will try at home. Thanks.

Originally posted by drsteve
    As one doc to another doc I believe is what you are saying is that for comparable models (say a 14 SEER A.C. and a variable speed 100,000 btu furnace), that most of the equiptment out there is rather reliable and comparable.

Is this correct? Thanks
    Sortof. As Baldloonie already responded there are differnces within the manufacturers lines. Trane, Rheem, Carrier etc each offer "builders" grade and "premium" grade of equipment (all same SEER). Some manufacturers even have a mid-grade that maybe does not have the protection features of the premium line, but has the quiter fan design so it is quieter.

To boil it all down you (or us) need the actual model numbers to compare the equipment. Carriers 13 SEER builder model does not compare to Carrier or Trane's premium 13 SEER.

echo!!!!!!!!1

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    Everyone has their own opinion of what's good & not and nobody will agree. About any unit PROPERLY INSTALLED will give good service. There are differences in warranties, servicability, SOUND LEVEL, but overall, they will do the job. Lower priced units tend to be cheaper constructed and noisier. As you go up in price either within a brand or to a more expensive brand, you can get better fit-n-finish, quieter unit, more features such as pressure protection on the outdoor unit. If you look at my comparison page on furnaces & air conditioners, it talks about some of that.
    you will hear over, and over, and over about "quality of installation", that applies when it's apples to apples. No entry unit can be compared to a cadillac. No matter who installs it. If a company sells every brand out there, they are not looking out for you, only you wallet. 2 or 3 lines is what an honest dealer would sell, imop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast