Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    We have a 5 year old Breezaire WKS4000 split system in our wine cellar. It has worked flawlessly since it was installed. Recently the evaporator coils started icing up. We noticed the problem because the cellar was no longer at 55 degrees and water was running down the wall.

We removed the cover from the evaporator unit and allowed it to thaw. The coils were already quite clean but we cleaned them thoroughly anyway. There were no signs of any problems inside the unit. The fan was working properly. There was good air flow into the coils and out the top. The drain was clear. Even on the warmest setting, the coils iced up. Is there anything else we can check before having the tech in to take a look. We'd like to make sure we've done all the basic user procedures to avoid any embarrassment. Thx. Tom

you need a tech to come and check the refrigerant levels and for any possible restrictions...this is a start..

Thanks for the response. It doesn't sound like we missed some obvious user procedure. We have a tech scheduled to take a look. Thx. Tom.

The installation documentation says to use R12 or R414B. What's the difference and when would you use one or the other. Thx. Tom

If you want to spend a lot of money and waste the ozone layer use R-12. If you want it a lot cheaper and not so much damage to the ozone layer use the Hot Shot (R-414B).
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

414 is a replacement for r-12.... r-12 has a big $ sign attached to it since it is no longer made. where you located ?

Originally posted by dave82323
    414 is a replacement for r-12.... r-12 has a big $ sign attached to it since it is no longer made. where you located ?
    Colorado.

cant help ya !

As a follow-up, I would appreciate some advice.

We had a tech service the unit in late September. He said the refrigerant level was low and filled the system with R-409A for a total cost of $353. Now, 3 months later, the evaporator is again icing up and the best the unit can do is to keep the cellar at 65 degrees. We called the same company back and they sent a different tech who found that the strainer/dryer was clogged and needed to be replaced. I have 3 questions. (1) Does it make sense that 3 months after the refrigerant recharge that the strainer/dryer could fail and yet be OK 3 months ago? (2) Is it fair to expect that they should have detected the need for a strainer/dryer on the first visit? (3) Should I expect to pay twice in 3 months for refrigerant and the labor to recharge it twice? Any comments or advice would be appreciated. I can imagine that the service company is as frustrated as me that it is taking 3 visits to fix what appears to be one problem (trip 1 diagnose and recharge, trip 2 diagnose and order part, trip 3 install part and recharge).

Thanks
    Tom

we service a few Breezeaire systems, and find there is copper tubing running along the bottom of the coil pan. Due to vibrations of the tubing rubbing the pan, a leak will develop here. (i don't know if yours is like this)

Hope this helps. By the way, you may just want to consider replacement, with the money you have (or will) put into it, you would be money ahead.

breezaire wks4000

How far away is the condenser from the evap? Breezaire has a problem with their expansion valves. They look like a txv, but the don't actually control super heat, there is a orifice inside the valve. I had a system do the same thing that yours is doing. Breezaire requires the liquid line and suction line to be in the same rubatex, they want this done to increase the subcooling. i argued with the tech support guy about this since it's not really a txv. I made the recommended repair and still had low suction pressure and high head pressure. I even tried putting an in-line heat exchanger in the system. Again this did not help. I finally had to change out the expansion valve. I did not go back in with an oem part either. I would call the company that you usually do business with and ask for a senior tech or a field manager if they have one. If they can't fix your problem I would contact a company that does alot of refrigeration work. good luck.

Thanks for letting me know the experience you have had. The 2 units are about 20 feet apart. I understand what you mean about the weaknesses with the Breezaire. In my case, I'm not sure that applies. The split unit was installed 5 years ago when the house was built. The unit has work absolutely flawlessly for 5 years. Then this problem came up. I am not confident that the 2 techs know exactly what the problem is so maybe it makes sense to talk to the senior in their office. We have not had any HVAC problems in 5 years with any of the systems and so have not established a strong working relationship with an HVAC firm. The people we called for this Breezaire problem are the ones who do the annual service on our radiant system boiler and snow melt boiler, not quite cooling is it? That's why I have been looking for guidance here.

Fair Charge for A/C Problem?

We finally have the unit working properly.

I have a question on what the pros think is fair to charge for the following situation. I don't want to stiff the HVAC firm but also don't want to pay for unnecessary work. I just don't know what I should reasonably expect. Here's the deal:

We have a Breezaire split system a/c in our wine cellar, model WKS4000. It was installed 5 years ago and has worked flawlessly the entire time. Recently it stopped cooling. The best it could do was 65 degrees. The evaporator was icing up. We called a local, respected HVAC company who sent a tech to service the unit. He said the refrigerant was down and added R409A even though he found no leak. A few weeks later, the same problem occured. On the second call, the same firm sent a different tech who said the pressures showed him the drier/filter was clogged and needed replacing. He ordered the part and came back for the third trip. On this third trip he was going to purge all the old refrigerant, install the new filter/drier and recharge the system. In doing this, after removing the old filter he still could not get the pressures he expected. Upon further analysis, he found the solenoid valve at the evaporator was defective. When it was replaced, the unit worked fine again. He never installed the new filter/drier nor new refrigerant. They have a total of 9 hours logged and, with parts, the charge is over $1,000. It seems to me there must have been a diagnostic test that could have been performed up front to determine the solenoid valve was defective and spend a lot less time and expense to fix the unit. Am I way out in left field on this because there was no simple way to diagnose the problem or am I right to expect quicker diagnosis from a pro? BTW, they charge the going rate around here of $120/hour. Labor is around $960, parts are $50 and additional refrigerant that apparently was not really needed was $120. I would appreciate any feedback that helps me determine if the bill is justified or I should talk to the owner. Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast