Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    phoenix, AZ single family one story residence

split system a/c has freon but house is still 79 when set at 70

I have an electric two part a/c unit, part outside and part in attic in Scottsdale, AZ. 110 outside.
    Unit only runs during cheap electric rate time .....7pm til head off to work at 9am then we shut the unit off.
    Changed to an easy flow airfilter as the tech advised and still....
    The unit was blowing HOT air so tech came and recharged the freon.
    The unit blows some cold air but when we Set the unit at 70 it only cools to 79.
    a/c unit goes on and off but never cools the house down enough.
    Tech checked freon again and is at proper level and says nothing is wrong!!!
    Never cool below 79 means something not working to me!!!
    How can that be??? Could it be the part in the attic or the thermostat?
    Proper freon level and blows some cold air sometimes but does not cool below 79 when set to cool at 70 and hold.
    What should I ask the next tech to do? What can it be? HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Moved thread to AOP Residential.
    You're fast

Need some numbers. However we can't do diy

Is the a/c actually shutting off at 79 even if the stat is set to 70? If so, you have an electrical problem, not a freon problem.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Is the a/c actually shutting off at 79 even if the stat is set to 70? If so, you have an electrical problem, not a freon problem.
    Ditto

Can't cool to 70 if off at 79.

You have more than one issue. First since the unit needed recharged it has a leak. The second being the unit turning off when it's still 9 degrees above the setting. Your tech should be able to figure it out.

same tech came by 2x and left your house @ 79deg? Call a new guy explain thoroghly what happened. Tell him to fix and give you detailed work order. Send a copy to last company explaining that house never got below 79deg. Tell him your house is now cold and that is why you are never going to call them again. Hell, my own wife would "withhold pay" if my house was 80deg!!!!!!

Would you be able to explain to me if there is enough freon can the part in the attic freeze up and stop blowing cold air? tech mentioned it might need a 24 volt capacitor or a sequencer? Does any of that make sense why it sometimes blows cold air but the unit goes on and off and the thermostat set at 70 never goes below 79? Shouldn't the tech have checked the part that is in the attic?
    I have someone else coming on Thursday but want to be sure I get this fixed.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by SBres22 View Post
    same tech came by 2x and left your house @ 79deg? Call a new guy explain thoroghly what happened. Tell him to fix and give you detailed work order. Send a copy to last company explaining that house never got below 79deg. Tell him your house is now cold and that is why you are never going to call them again. Hell, my own wife would "withhold pay" if my house was 80deg!!!!!!

could it be I need a new digital thermostat?
    17 years old. The stat on the other side of the house is the same and works properly.

Be exact when listing the problems to the new tech. For example when you say the unit shuts off when it still has 9 degrees to cool...is that the outside unit,the inside blower or both? Tell him they added refrigerant , request a leak check with an electronic detector and that the refrigerant levels/flow be checked via superheat and subcool.

Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    Be exact when listing the problems to the new tech. For example when you say the unit shuts off when it still has 9 degrees to cool...is that the outside unit, the inside blower or both?

Tell him they added refrigerant, request a leak check with an electronic detector and that the refrigerant levels/flow be checked via superheat and subcool.
    The above along with changing the RM-TH to a low cost digital differential SWING adjustable t-stat the "ACE ATX 1500" is one, that U can get at some major ACE hardware stores. If you're not handily competent have a Tech get the TH & install it for you.

If that does not completely correct the problem, then we can have you list some temps for us to evaluate; otherwise U may just be calling more & more contractors without a proper diagnosis & fix.

Then U can call around to find a contractor that will work with you toward an effective fix.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast