Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Heat pump is not a good choice in your area unless it was maybe a geothermal one. A regular air heat pump won't work at -20 and you end up using the electric heater ($$$).

The guy that says he will do a load calculation, did he take any measurements? If not, he probably won't do a load calculation unless you choose him, even then you need to put it in writing. Ask the other guys if they will do a load calculation.

From what you said, you seem to have a leaky house and leaky ducts that are also undersized. Maybe try budgeting for them to fix your ducts at least. Wouldn't make sense to put in a brand new AC and have all that cold air warm up before it gets to your room. I would almost recommend putting wall furnaces and window AC system... you might get more comfort from those if fixing the ducts will be out of your price range.
    You can call me Sam

It should be a crime to be a mechanical engineer in San Diego
    Summer Design Temperature: 83 F Dry Bulb ~ 69 F Wet Bulb (California Climate Zone 7)

Quote Originally Posted by SnailRacer View Post
    Thanks, mcjo tech.

I checked the map and there is one person listed in my area. They do not have a website so I cannot check right now if they carry any of the brands you mention. Locally they are listed as a repair shop. ??

Aire Flow is the low end line by Lennox (according to the AC man). Are you implying that Goodman er ... I mean Amana, York and Aire-Flo are questionable products?

I will check the yellow pages for the other brands and see who is in the area. Thanks!
    I would agree that Amana is the best choice of the three. Solid warranty. Just not a big fan of the product myself. I would prefer Trane or American Standard if it was going in my home and the cost difference was not too much.

Just my personal opinion.

Thank, everyone, for all your great answers!

Looks like the Amana is going to be the one to pick.

Just one last question - should I get a 2 or a 2.5 ton model?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12