Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_BDC View Post
    I heard that before...and was a little concerned about the 5 ton replacing the old 4.5 ton in my 2758 SQFT home...as the rule of thumb dictates - 600 p/ton? or was it 500 SQFT?

One point still eludes me...why didn't I have any issues the first two seasons?

Anyhow...thanks for the advice and after the repairs are made to the return...I will drop by to post the results.
    When did you get your computer equitment?
    Electronics, especially servers, put out alot of heat.

If you have a thermometer, try and take 2 temperatures. One going into the equitment, one coming out. As close to the air handler as possible.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    Wow, .9" of an inch on the Return Side alone is terrible; the negative Return side is added to the Supply Side for the total static which should be .5" or as he said .6" tops.

The 2.5%m summer design in Tampa FL is 91-F dry bulb; 77-F wet bulb for a high 54% RH; at that 91-F which means a loot of grains of moisture per lb of air to be removed by the A/C. That is a reason not to oversize the system.

Yes, that Return Air problem has to be properly resolved for the system to begin to cool properly. Get it done right & then check & balance the charge to the new higher heatload on the indoor coil.
    Hey Darrel and HVAC community...

I just wanted to give you all an update...I had a good company come out and increase the size of two of the return runs and the riser (now rectangular ductboard), and replaced the mixing box...they also needed to add 4.5 LBs of freon (which surprised me) and re-adjusted the blower profile to 20° F split across the coil...wow...what a difference! The house is now cooling at whatever temp I set it to (75° F) and is operating at normal pressures etc.

Thanks again to everyone for your advice and suggestions.

BDC

Amana Heat Pump

Hi Guys...I'm Back!

Only a year later...and I'm having new issues - you could read the older posts to get complete details on my past AC & issues as I was pretty thorough, but let me sum it up: I have an Amana 5 Ton/15 Seer Heat Pump/R-410A Refrigerant (ASZ140601), Amana Variable-Speed Air Handler (MBVC2000AA1), & Amana/Goodman Evaporator Coil (CAPF4961D6). This unit is only 3.5 years old and we are almost done with the 3rd season...

Here's the issue...we had the annual maintenance check/clean and the Tech who came out said that the Split is way off...and that the airflow is restricted to the coil etc...that the "Out Temp" is 66 -70 F....and the "In Temp" is 72 F & Thermostat says 74 F. He also said that there was mold or Bio/Bacteria inside the coil on the Return side. He said (to my wife) that we needed an Acid Wash first ($) and then an install of a Dual U/V light System ($) plus a Service Charge lol ($)

I am just not sure what to do here...the guy was very unprofessional and was from the original company who screwed up the original installation so I don't know if he was on the level. Even if he was...I just don't know if I want or need to spend that kind of money!

I'll take any advice at this point...

Thanks Everyone
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-10-2013 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Prices

For a 5-Ton system, there should have been at least two (2) extra large return air filter rack areas.
    Depending on the type of filter used, the velocity through the filter may have been way too high causing debris blow-by loading the blower wheel blades with lint & insulating the fins & partially plugging the cooling coil.

This is just one reasoned hunch; it may be a different cause.

However; for a media type filter, it needs at least (two) 30" X 24" filters to get it close enough (using Hart&Cooley Data for 300-fpm through the filter).

Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    For a 5-Ton system, there should have been at least two (2) extra large return air filter rack areas.
    Depending on the type of filter used, the velocity through the filter may have been way too high causing debris blow-by loading the blower wheel blades with lint & insulating the fins & partially plugging the cooling coil.

This is just one reasoned hunch; it may be a different cause.

However; for a media type filter, it needs at least (two) 30" X 24" filters to get it close enough (using Hart&Cooley Data for 300-fpm through the filter).
    Hey Darrell,

Was hoping to hear from you...I have two return vents in the house - one is in master bedroom and is 12x12 in ceiling and not a filter vent...the other is in a small hallway ceiling between the two other bedrooms - this is the new one the good company enlarged to a 18x18 vent...it's a filter vent, but I have not installed a filter because...out in the garage where the Air Handler is...it has a filter chamber below coil that houses a 20x25x1 washable filter (the only filter). Also...I've never had a mold issue in 30 years...can I clean the coils myself and install my own UV light or...do I need one? What would you do?

Thanks for the response...

Why did you call the first company back ,call the good company . Some washable filters are terrible for air flow especially a 20-25 for 5 tons
    We really need change now

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    Why did you call the first company back ,call the good company . Some washable filters are terrible for air flow especially a 20-25 for 5 tons
    I didn't...they called my wife offering a maintenance special etc. plus...the washable filter was there from the very beginning, they just tuned up and offered the UV estimate

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame one me.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame one me.
    That's very clever...but not very helpful, what else ya got? - thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BDC View Post
    That's very clever...but not very helpful, what else ya got? - thanks.
    Actually it is very helpful......

If you have a company that does a good job....CALL THEM BACK.

If you have a company that didn't do a good job....Don't call them back.

Main point being-in a trade (hvac) that requires a vast knowledge level and expensive tools...don't fall for the "specials" because if you think you are getting "quality at a discount" in this trade...you will be sadly mistaken.

May be not helpful for you at this point, but maybe the next person that reads this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    Actually it is very helpful......

If you have a company that does a good job....CALL THEM BACK.

If you have a company that didn't do a good job....Don't call them back.

Main point being-in a trade (hvac) that requires a vast knowledge level and expensive tools...don't fall for the "specials" because if you think you are getting "quality at a discount" in this trade...you will be sadly mistaken.

May be not helpful for you at this point, but maybe the next person that reads this thread.

First off...this isn't my first rodeo and I didn't ask for any advice on being a good consumer...I posted here in hopes that I would receive some tips on Coil cleaning/UV installation - this is the HVAC Community right? Not that its important (and it isn't)...but if you would have read my posts, you would have understood that I never asked this company to come back, my wife did.

First off...this isn't my first rodeo and I didn't ask for any advice on being a good consumer...

Not that its important (and it isn't)...but if you would have read my posts, you would have understood that I never asked this company to come back, my wife did.
    So now we have the opportunity to critique two people'S actions.

The Parts Changer will ALWAYS BE A PARTS CHANGER
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

First off...this isn't my first rodeo and I didn't ask for any advice on being a good consumer...I posted here in hopes that I would receive some tips on Coil cleaning/UV installation - this is the HVAC Community right? Not that its important (and it isn't)...but if you would have read my posts, you would have understood that I never asked this company to come back, my wife did.
    I understood exactly what you posted. My post as referenced was a bit of advice for EVERYONE who reads this on an open forum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast