Intake PVC Disconnected

I am having a Rhem 96% 2 stage with variable speed furnace installed. It is a retrofit in a 1991 home with the old style chimney vent. They are installing new PVC through the wall, but they did not have space to run both PVC pipes, so they just ran the exast one and left the intake disconnected in the basement furnace room. Will this reduce efficiency a lot, is it bad for the furnace.

Two concerns:
    1. How big is the furnace room? If it is too small there will not be enough air for complete combustion and your furnace efficiency will be reduced.
    2. Drawing air from the house for combustion may put the house under negative pressure. Negative pressure can cause draft/vent problems with other appliances and/or cause leaks in the house to pull in unconditioned air from outside which increases discomfort.

No room for a 2" PVC pipe, please!

Can you say lazy!

is the furnace room surrounded by finished rooms?

most mfg's allow one pipe (exhaust only), but there is probably a recommended minimum for the intake--somebody needs to look at the instructions that came with it.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

duplicate
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    duplicate
    They do, you have to figure the area, and if there are any other gas appliances, and there location but yes most allow it, as long as it all checks out. It will be i n the instructions as you stated, but i think the given is 50 cubic feet for 1000 btu

Demand the figure out to add a second pipe
    We really need change now

There's always room 90% of the time lol. I did one the other day I had 6" to squeeze the pipes in and just snorkeled the exhaust for separation.

They were able to fit it in after all. Thanks for the help and advice.