Thread: Forced air hydronic furnace? Can anyone identify the type?

Post Likes

Forced air hydronic furnace? Can anyone identify the type?

Hi All,
    I am a waterproofing consultant with an HVAC question.

I am trying to identify the type of furnace I am looking at. Can't find make or model.
    Two story apartment complex with separate units below and above. Water heater has small tank above that leads to a hydronic boiler of sorts: The hall and bath ceilings are dropped to 7 foot to account for plenum to registers in each room. The bathroom has a metal door in the ceiling about 2 feet x 4 feet. inside is the 12" plenum space with a long box narrow box (boiler?) about 16"x 36" x 10" (guess) with copper pipe manifold that enters one end of the box (boiler?). There are two squirrel cage blowers and a AC line set entering the other end. A condensate line exits the apartment wall.
    My questions: What am I looking at? Can the apartment humidity be controlled for the AC operation and can the humidity be controlled during heating.
    The apartment is experiencing mold issues that can be addressed to an extent if the heating cycle humidity can be controlled. Please see attached photo.A9R16B9.pdfA9R513D.pdfA9RF49B.pdf
    Thanks,
    Charlie

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-07-2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Non AOP member

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-07-2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Non AOP Member

Post Likes

Thank you gas doctor

Quote Originally Posted by thegasdoctor View Post
    Where is the moisture coming from?
    These are 140 apartment units in in Central Valley of California; built 1999.
    Only 1 unit with mildew on many walls within the unit living room, bedrooms and closets.
    Yes, most of the water is (was until she moved out) generated by the tenant (10 years never opening windows, drying her laundry in the unit, etc.). No mildew in the plenum (nor in the internal bathrooms; bath fans are working!)
    That said, there was a major construction error: a 2" sand cushion was placed on top of the vapor barrier. Moisture has slowly built-up in the sand layer and is now a constant source of humid air during the winter. We will be sealing the concrete floors (and all 70 other ground floor units as the carpets are changed out).
    However, I was wondering if the humidity can be adjusted, the condensate line will remove that water from the apartment. I'm sure there has never been an adjustment made to the hydronics in any of the units. I just did not want to over look something obvious to someone that knows these systems.
    Thank you for your help!

Post Likes
    Just a little fan coil common in apartments. Typical A/C coil in it for cooling, likely gets its heat from that water heater. May be a drain issue, plugged or otherwise. Works like any other A/C system.

Post Likes

Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-07-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Post Likes
    thegasdoctor

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in