Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

yet again, a newbie

Hello all,

Recent HVAC school graduate in Ohio. No luck in the job hunt so far, but trying to stay positive. Have poked around here a little bit and it looks like a great site.

Welcome here! Keep posting, once you reach 15 posts you can apply for the secret password.

A lot of great info in the pro forums.

A good place to start looking is MEPjobs.com and a good temp company is Aerotek
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Welcome! It's a great site.

For information on how to be an instant success with little or no effort, head on down to ARP, near the bottom of the menu!
    In just hours, no..., minutes, you too can learn all of the best kept money making secrets of the hvac trade.

IT'S ALMOST LIKE INSIDER TRADING!

Awaiting you in ARP could be the best kept secrets of how to rake in piles of tax-free cash, lying in your area, just for the taking!

It's easier than an illegal filing false U.S. tax returns.! And less risk!

And don't forget to tell them Quanchai sent you! ( He is a relative of Markl, I think)

HURRY NOW!

Seriously, stay away from the black hole known as ARP....

You may never be able to get back out!

Just stay positive its the only way to get a job. it will come sometimes no experience is a reason why people hire people. Heating season is coming upon us Companies that want to hire for the heating season will be hiring very soon.
    Good luck
    Get er Done!

Do what has to be done
    when it has to be done
    as well as it has to be done
    And doing it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post

Seriously, stay away from the black hole known as ARP....

You may never be able to get back out!
    :

Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. And for the job resources.

I have been out of school for a couple of months now, have put out about twenty five resumes and only gotten one interview. There are a ton of adverts for hvac techs. But they all want years of experience.
    Yes, the age old question how to get experience?

I am getting discouraged in the hunt for a hvac job and thinking about just trying another line of work.
    There was even a article in the local paper about how good the job market is for new hvac techs.

After getting laid off from my job of fifteen years I went to school for hvac because it was supposed to be a good field to get into. Now I am beginning to wonder if I made the right choice.

I do have bad credit but that's because of bankruptcy after my lay off. And I would think that an employer wouldn't check that untill after he interviewed me.

Any advice. On job hunting? Am I doomed because of my credit?

Honesty, honesty, honesty! Both on your credit and your experience. If you are eager to learn somebody will give you a shot.
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

As stupid as it may sound, try some of the less reputable companies in your area. They often are easier to get on with and it can be an open door for a better job. It might also get you some exposure hanging in the area hvac distributors when you pick stuff up for jobs. and possibly a better job lead.

The down side is you can get stigmatized when working for a crap company.

Quote Originally Posted by ironpit View Post
    As stupid as it may sound, try some of the less reputable companies in your area. They often are easier to get on with and it can be an open door for a better job. It might also get you some exposure hanging in the area hvac distributors when you pick stuff up for jobs. and possibly a better job lead.

The down side is you can get stigmatized when working for a crap company.
    I am gonna have to disagree with that one. The first key to getting an interview is show attendance. If you got a really high attendance record in School flaunt it. Between long history of working for the same company and a good attendance will help you get your foot in the door.

I didn't say as a first step. It just could be a step. No one want's to work for a losing company. But I have seen guys go thru that process. An open door is an open door. If that is the only way, at least it is a way.

Quote Originally Posted by ironpit View Post
    I didn't say as a first step. It just could be a step. No one want's to work for a losing company. But I have seen guys go thru that process. An open door is an open door. If that is the only way, at least it is a way.
    His first 3 years out of school are important he needs to find a good company with a few good techs he can learn from. If he spends 3 years with a gas and go company he might as well have eaten that school tuition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast