+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My first wall of shame post

Post Likes

My first wall of shame post

Worked on the roof top unit at a local Chinese restaurant last month. Notice the safe and easy access from the ladder to the upper level of the roof by way of the acrobatic maneuvering around the electrical service. Not sure what is in that tub, might be old cooking oil but I didn't investigate real close. I had to stand in that water to rewire that unit and replace the capacitor. I charged them a hazardous access fee, a hazardous working environment fee and a bit extra to cover my frustration.

Name:  2012-07-17 12.05.42.jpg
Views: 2821
Size:  64.7 KBName:  2012-07-17 12.03.04.jpg
Views: 1851
Size:  68.6 KBName:  2012-07-17 12.03.10.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  73.5 KBName:  2012-07-17 12.03.13.jpg
Views: 1757
Size:  72.5 KBName:  2012-07-17 12.03.18.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  57.8 KBName:  2012-07-17 12.03.23.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  47.7 KBName:  2012-07-17 12.05.59.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  73.5 KBName:  2012-07-17 12.05.47.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  57.2 KB
    A people who would exchange liberty for apparent safety, will deserve neither and lose both.

Post Likes
    so, did you eat there after you finished
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Looks exactly like a Chinese restaurant. You found a new lunch hangout at least, one crate for you and one for the rats.

Post Likes
    This is exactly why we have higher rates for Chinese restaurants

Post Likes
    That's some prime real estate

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    Looks exactly like a Chinese restaurant. You found a new lunch hangout at least, one crate for you and one for the rats.
    Yup
    Don't you just love the way peanut oil turns into tar on the coils and fans?
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Yup
    Don't you just love the way peanut oil turns into tar on the coils and fans?
    They always seem to be grease pits, that oil is a pain to get off anything.

Post Likes
    That looks about like the roof of a combo Donut shop/fried chicken/Chinese food place I used to do some service for.
    I never ate their food, even the thought eating there makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

Post Likes
    When I presented the bill to the woman behind the register it went like this:
    Her: "You got ac working, it is cool now."
    Me: "Yup, it's working ok now." I hand her the invoice.
    Her: "Oh! That's so spensive! You give discount?"
    Me: "No."
    She paid cash, all in tens. Don't think I'll be eating there after being in their kitchen and on their roof.
    A people who would exchange liberty for apparent safety, will deserve neither and lose both.

Post Likes
    Your a brave man using that aluminum ladder there

Post Likes
    It was their roof access, already in place but I did make sure I was insulated from it and the far enough away form the power lines. Still charged them extra though.

Post Likes
    Is that grill in the last pic for a fresh air makeup...lol. Do they water their spices on the roof?

Post Likes
    The last pic is showing the lower roof which is a storage shed attached the rear of the building. Think the grill is just laying up there.

Post Likes
    I would have taken that Motor for scrap thats $10 LOL
    So just cause the china man put the ladder in an unsafe spot you couldn't be botherd to set yours up in a safe spot?

I think your right about that tub being a collector of greese from the old style kitchen exhauster.
    Is it normal for Gas pipe to be un painted and just on the roof un supported like that?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    I would have taken that Motor for scrap thats $10 LOL
    So just cause the china man put the ladder in an unsafe spot you couldn't be botherd to set yours up in a safe spot?

I think your right about that tub being a collector of greese from the old style kitchen exhauster.
    Is it normal for Gas pipe to be un painted and just on the roof un supported like that?
    I have almost never seen gas pipe painted on a roof, well never I guess.

Post Likes
    The only other spot to place the ladder is in the path of their drive through, not really an option to be honest, have you seen the drivers around here?

Post Likes
    I have almost never seen gas pipe painted on a roof, well never I guess.
    I'm starting to see painted gas lines on newer commercial roofs. Never in residential or older light commercial.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    I'm starting to see painted gas lines on newer commercial roofs. Never in residential or older light commercial.
    The only place I have seen any painted was in a govt building. We have a shopping mall with 100 RTU's and all gas pipe on roof, miles of it some most is high pressure all the units have separate regulators. No paint. I guess things are more strict in other places.

Post Likes
    We have two gas lines on our roof, split for tenants, both painted yellow. Nice and easy to see, which is good as they are at the perfect height to trip you. (Theatre, last reno in 2009).

Post Likes
    The only place I have seen any painted was in a govt building. We have a shopping mall with 100 RTU's and all gas pipe on roof, miles of it some most is high pressure all the units have separate regulators. No paint. I guess things are more strict in other places.
    It's not strict around here, the places I've seen them is on new walgreens and comparable chain stores done by national companies. None of the local contractors paint gas lines.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in