Thread: Fin tool

Fin tool

What is every one using to straighten bent fins, what works best besides a new coil?

Pocket screwdriver or a knife blade. Those plastic combs just break after a few runs and those metal brushes are good for nothin.

I've had good luck with a yellow jacket finfix set, although I don't work on very large equipment, so never had too large of a coil to fix

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by danbb View Post
    I've had good luck with a yellow jacket finfix set, although I don't work on very large equipment, so never had too large of a coil to fix
    a fin comb and patience.

and suggest not using the condenser to bounce a baseball or hockey puck against. OR if you are really good, suggest moving the condenser unit out of harms way!

I've used the metal one to brush across units that have been almost completely flattened.....no way you're gonna get even spacing again, so i go with the "something is better than nothing" approach. it also works well for scraping REALLY caked evaps.!!LOL!

I do a ton of hail damage repair or just because I am waiting on a vacuum. For the most part it is carriers that seem to be a magnet for hail damage. I use supco FC1617 combs. I keep about twenty on the truck. They work good even on heavy damage if you don't get greedy. A decent sized carrier can be straightened out surprisingly well in about 15 min. Of course always always keep a pocket screwdriver for that fin that always folds and wraps over the next. Fresh combs take patience but once the teeth get a little rounded you can fly through it.

After watching the factory guys use fin combs, it helps to use a light lubricant to make the comb slide on the aluminum easier. Just have to make sure and clean it after your done. I have used soap bubbles, diluted dish detergent, wd40 and such it helps the process tremendously.
    TANSTAAFL - There ain't no such thing as a free lunch!

I use supco supercomb. $4 @ Johnstone. Works pretty good after comb is broken in.