+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Accepting a job on short notice...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Accepting a job on short notice...

I got a call from a contractor this morning who was looking for people he could hire on 24 hours notice that could be on the job tommorow morning. I had just gotten out of bed and was completely caught off guard. He sounded desperate as if he would hire anyone who could show up tomorrow. Even a kid who doesn't have a lot of HVAC experience. This companies office was 60 miles north from me and the job was in a different part of LA... I ended up passing it up because I didn't want to burn a bridge with my current employer. The last time I took an HVAC job on such short notice it was because a contractor was behind on an install and wanted an extra set of hands so that the job would get done by the end of the week. Once the job was completed I was politely let go...

Is it a red flag when some wants to hire help on 24 hrs notice, or was I foolish to pass this opportunity up

Post Likes
    I think your insticts were correct. Then again, sometimes when a big contract gets signed, the company is under the gun, but still needs permenant people, just ask lots of questions. How did he get your number? Have you been looking or did someone else refer you?

Post Likes
    You prolly made the right call. It sounds like he got himself up $hit's creek and he needs some people to help paddle.

Post Likes
    Had that happen years ago when a company hired a bunch of our guys right out from us under similar terms anf for a few dollars more an hour. 3 months later those guys were stealing tools out of their trucks to get paid as the company went under---all the while my boss telling those guys to take a hike when they came crawling back. Those of us who stuck it out had no sympathy either, they left us hanging pretty high there for awhile.
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Post Likes
    I had applied to this company well over a month ago...

Post Likes
    After reading this again and digesting the 24 hour notice request, you definitely did the right thing.

Post Likes
    If you applied a month ago, sounds like a fly-by-night type of job.
    NO thanks.

Post Likes
    if there was no contact since you appied they have gone thru techs already and you were next...good non move
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    In the non union world a contractor is very limited on the jobs they can bid because of this very issue.

This contractor may have just won a large bid and needs to man the job. Finding 20 certified welders, 10 HVAC installers, 30 pipefitters, 15 plumbers, and 5 med gas certified brazers is a daunting task and one can easily get behind the eight ball when taking on such a bid.

You really needed to ask more questions, large bids like this can make a company soar along with the employees. Who knows? It could have been a career grand slam or a turd in the bucket.
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    questions, questions, questions........

how long is the current job? how many people are you hiring for it? how many do you intend to keep afterward? How long do you expect it to last? What are the hours? etc. etc. etc.

In my last life, i used to get calls for freelance work......Some you take, some you turn down...just depends on wether you feel it's worth it for you. This is also where it helps to know the companies in the area, or the ones you've applied for. Reputations are easy to come by....good and bad.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in