Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well, a gallon of water requires just over 8000 btus per hour to condense out of the air.

So, if we actually ARE condensing gallons a day, how much energy is being wasted.

Sounds like normal operation , if the unit has a accumiator it will condensate more

My installer came out today and checked the pressures and said it was ok.
    He pointed out that it’s the accumulator that is what is producing most of the water. In an earlier I post pointed out rubber grommet with the metal tangs had water coming dripping out of it, turns out that’s the accumulator mount.
    The only solution he could offer was a drip pan with a drain line to channel the water away from the house.
    I placed a 2” roasting pan under the accumulator mount area at 0700 by 1000 it was full. I now have water leaking into the crawl space through the foundation wall, anybody who thinks that isn’t an issue should consider finding another line of work.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Well, a gallon of water requires just over 8000 btus per hour to condense out of the air.

So, if we actually ARE condensing gallons a day, how much energy is being wasted.
    “As water vapor condenses back to a liquid or solid phase onto a surface, the latent energy absorbed during evaporation is released as sensible heat onto the surface.” I haven’t done the math, but I’m curious as to why the manufacture chose not insulate the accumulator.

As others have mentioned the condensation is going to be a normal thing depending on where the dew point maybe at a given time. Your biggest concern is where the condensation is going. Have your contractor install a pan and modify it to control the drainage. It's an unfortunate side effect. We can talk about wasted btu's but reality is that it's just like the exhaust gasses in your car. There is wasted energy there as well and that's why someone had the bright idea to design and build turbochargers to put that wasted energy to work. Why not collect that water and use on your garden?

Quote Originally Posted by ATC USN View Post
    “As water vapor condenses back to a liquid or solid phase onto a surface, the latent energy absorbed during evaporation is released as sensible heat onto the surface.” I haven’t done the math, but I’m curious as to why the manufacture chose not insulate the accumulator.
    Because the purpose of an accumulator requires that it be able to absorb heat.

Insulating an accumulator is counter-productive

Quote Originally Posted by jdblack View Post
    As others have mentioned the condensation is going to be a normal thing depending on where the dew point maybe at a given time. Your biggest concern is where the condensation is going. Have your contractor install a pan and modify it to control the drainage. It's an unfortunate side effect. We can talk about wasted btu's but reality is that it's just like the exhaust gasses in your car. There is wasted energy there as well and that's why someone had the bright idea to design and build turbochargers to put that wasted energy to work. Why not collect that water and use on your garden?
    Now we're thinking.

Hire a contractor to insulate the accumulator if you wish. It will not harm anything.
    Accumulator is not there to absorb heat.
    Factory did not insulate it because of cost. You are the ONLY odd ball in a million.
    Get it insulated and get on with your life.

Quote Originally Posted by ATC USN View Post
    I now have water leaking into the crawl space through the foundation wall, anybody who thinks that isn’t an issue should consider finding another line of work.
    Have the installer put a drain pan under it if it bothers you.
    I've never seen one though.
    It's still normal operation, and as far as unit operation goes, is not an issue.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12