Confused Will you start an HVAC business today ?

Considering :

Initial investment in tools, van/truck .....
    Bad economy/recession....
    Expenses in marketing/ advertisement ....

Will you start an HVAC business today ?

I would....but I would look real hard into the area first. There is a member of this site that is a friend of mine (HeyBob). He has a very successful business because they picked the right location in an area that a lot of new development was going on without a lot of HVAC/R businesses.
    In doing so, they established a good foothold on the community and have a good dedicated customer base.

This is what I think anyways.

Where Im at, there seems to be an HVAC repair guy every square mile.
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

I take my test in tx this week. Ive already have a van, and it rigged out. Im going class a combo, and plan on starting it. Scared to death but im staying busy all yr round for a company i work at currently.

Quote Originally Posted by mstx View Post
    Considering :

Initial investment in tools, van/truck .....
    Bad economy/recession....
    Expenses in marketing/ advertisement ....

Will you start an HVAC business today ?
    I started 3 years ago on my own. Had no "initial investment" in tools...had them all and in some cases more than one.

Bad economy? You are in texas and i am in VA....who is going to go without AC? My wife will call a competitor if she is hot for too long

Expenses in marketing? It doesn't cost that much to get a website and throw a bunch of fliers in mailboxes....any more than that and there is not ROI.....Years ago I wasted money on valpak, adds, etc....word of mouth rules....
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    This is what I think anyways.

Where Im at, there seems to be an HVAC repair guy every square mile.
    I will be up there on vacation next week....should I bring my truck????
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

Well,you know, is not easy with this economy even if you are in the sun belt, like it or not this job is seasonal, btw a lot of service and with small o zero new houses, there are not a lot of sales, maybe some replacement, when you sell you can see the big bucks, is not easy making a live with service only. At least this is my opinion. Am I wrong ?

I already had all my tools. i got a decent van cheap. my bills are low.
    the real killer is the advertising. you pay good money for something that can have no return.
    who the customers call and who they don't is a big pshycological game.
    you can offer better service at 75% less of a price, it doesn't mean someone is going to call you.
    it seems to me people are happier paying some huge corporation $1200 then
    paying me $600 , and thinking i made $600 for two hours of work.
    last summer i worked 10 to 12 hours per day , now i'm lucky if i get two calls per week.
    but i like doing the things i need to do and not having some company's red tape cause me problems

Stupid question, but how many years experience do you have and do you have enough money to pay 6 months of your bills in the savings? If you're "right out of school" with no experience and living "day to day" with your bills, you've got low chance of making it work! Self employment is not the same as "waiting till Friday" for the paycheck!

Orange County, in a Galaxy far far away...
    1) I have more tools than most HVAC contractors never mind technicians!
    2) My pickup can be kitted out with a utility shell and ladder/pipe for service - trailer for installs when needed.
    3) Bad economy could last another year or 10 who knows? But good companies are always busy, I would rather jump in now while other guys are going under, weather the storm and when things turn around, be in a much stronger position.
    4)Marketing is a necessary evil, however I already do enough side jobs to ignite word of mouth to keep a new venture afloat a while. Advertising is so hit and miss despite what all the SEO geeks and guru's tell you. Personally I would take $5000 for internet marketing and spread it amongst an existing customer base. That is, existing customer refers somebody and they book (& complete) an appointment get $25 cash etc.
    I did the last tactic in Scotland and it worked incredibly well, yes a lot of dud calls but 3-4 medium jobs out of 200 leads and the marketing was paid. Also generated dozens of solid leads and bids for jobs I would never have known about. (General contracting)

Do I have the capital to start a business? - No.
    Do I have the rainy day fund? - No.
    Do I have the necessary HVAC experience & skill - Hell no!

Will/Would I start an HVAC business today? - No.
    You cannot cheat an honest man. But that doesn't stop people trying!

No...you are correct! we cannot survive on service work alone.

Quote Originally Posted by mstx View Post
    Well,you know, is not easy with this economy even if you are in the sun belt, like it or not this job is seasonal, btw a lot of service and with small o zero new houses, there are not a lot of sales, maybe some replacement, when you sell you can see the big bucks, is not easy making a live with service only. At least this is my opinion. Am I wrong ?