Evaporator Coil for Trane XV95 and XL16i system

Hello,

I have referenced these forums a number of times and have gotten a great deal of valuable information already as I'm considering a new HVAC system.

I thought I had locked in a contractor, but I noticed that there wasn't any mention of a coil or number in the bid. When I called him and asked about what coil he was going to install, he seemed to become defensive and stated that he couldn't tell me exactly what coil he was going to install and that it could be a choice from 10-12 evaporator coils.

I was wondering if I should insist on specific coil with reference number before I commit, or if the coil will naturally match my proposed system. The bid states: "We will set a new coil on top of the furnace".

Proposed System:

Furnace: XV95 TUH2B080AV9V3 80,000 BTU
    AC: XL16i 4TTX6036 3 ton

I've found that there are two types of Trane coils. 4TXFH, 4TXC.

I saw in a forum that an 4TXCB036BC3HCA was recommended for a system like mine, but that was for a heat pump. Mine is not going to be a heat pump.

Any comments would be appreciated. For a multi-year commitment and $ plus investment, I want to get it right.

Thanks,

Hammer
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-21-2012 at 05:33 AM. Reason: price

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerwolf47 View Post
    Hello,

I have referenced these forums a number of times and have gotten a great deal of valuable information already as I'm considering a new HVAC system.

I thought I had locked in a contractor, but I noticed that there wasn't any mention of a coil or number in the bid. When I called him and asked about what coil he was going to install, he seemed to become defensive and stated that he couldn't tell me exactly what coil he was going to install and that it could be a choice from 10-12 evaporator coils.

I was wondering if I should insist on specific coil with reference number before I commit, or if the coil will naturally match my proposed system. The bid states: "We will set a new coil on top of the furnace".

Proposed System:

Furnace: XV95 TUH2B080AV9V3 80,000 BTU
    AC: XL16i 4TTX6036 3 ton

I've found that there are two types of Trane coils. 4TXFH, 4TXC.

I saw in a forum that an 4TXCB036BC3HCA was recommended for a system like mine, but that was for a heat pump. Mine is not going to be a heat pump.

Any comments would be appreciated. For a multi-year commitment and $ plus investment, I want to get it right.

Thanks,

Hammer
    Your contractor may be correct in his statement, but since he did not address your concerns with an explanation I will say he does not know how to choose.

It will be based on your Manual J load calculation, and depending on what your sensible heat ratio is, will tell him the correct coil to choose and airflow selection.
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-21-2012 at 05:33 AM. Reason: price

The TXCB036 gets 16 SEER, the TXCB048 gets 16.50 SEER. If a humid climate I'd say stay with the 036, otherwise you get 600 more BTUs and .5 SEER point with the larger coil. The slab (horizontal) coil has similar results only a bit higher SEER if this is an attic install.