Replacing 20 year old system

I have a 20 year old Rheem 92% eff furnace and AC system that may need to be replace. On Saturday my my wife asked why it was 80 degrees in the bedroom. The fan was set to the "on" position so it was running, just no cooling. Went out to the compressor and it was not running. Took the cover off and found that the shaft from the cooling fan had corroded and it fell off, so I guess the unit overheated and tripped. Killed the power and waited a while and tried to see if it would start up, but no luck. Would not run it like that, but just wanted to check it out. Could not find any resettable overload device, and the breaker was not tripped. The utility company is coming to look at it today, but I suspect a new compressor may be needed. If so, I would replace the entire system.

Here is the issue, I have never been happy with the system. We have a Carrier Infinity system we are very pleased with in the larger part of the house. This unit covers four bedrooms and a work shop. The workshop and one bedroom and on a lower level and three bedrooms, one of which has 14 foot ceilings is on this unit. It was originally setup with Honeywell dampers with thermostats upstairs and downstairs, but that never worked well and for many years has just been controlled by the upstairs stat with the dampers manual set for best balance. So the question, what can I install to get the zoning to work better. Also I was never satisfied with humidity removal, perhaps the unit is too big. I believe it is a 2.5 ton system on a 75,000 BTU/Hr furnace.

So call the company back that made you Happy in the Bigger part of the house. We are not thier and only a Tech can tell you how killed your 20YR system is. Could be a condenser Fan Motor or could be the whole condenser unit. If I was unhappy and it was 20YR old I would be updating to new equipment.

I don't think it is the fan motor, its the motor shaft that just broke due to corrosion about half-way down to the blades. I plan to call the company that did the other system if this is not just a minor fix. I was just looking here for any ideas people might have on how to get the damper-based zoning system to work. Perhaps something has been developed that works better over the last 20 years.

Infinity zoning duct mods probably required

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    Infinity zoning duct mods probably required
    Could you explain exactly what that is so that I know to ask correctly. How is it different than the Honeywell dampers?

The infinity system also comes in a zoned version. Works pretty much the same as the infinity in your other half of the house but the infinity control will be the zone version and have an infinity zoning panel and dampers. The duct has to be capable of handling each zones airflow and provide minimum flow across the airhandler...no bypass required or recommended.