Is A/C compressor affected by outside temperatures?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    40

    Question Is A/C compressor affected by outside temperatures?

    I recently had issues with my upstairs A/C, the outside condenser unit was shutting off randomly at random times while the internal fan continues to run. (Details in this thread: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....s-off-randomly) In a nutshell, I had the A/C tech come back out after I recorded a video of the condenser unit emitting a high pitched screeching/whine sound. He changed out the capacitor, and we were issue-free for a week.

    (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJp8QTFWRxg).

    This week though it has been not cooling yet again, however I've noticed this is a different issue:

    1) Internal fan runs, and so does condenser fan but I do not hear the compressor on. When it is cooling, you can hear the compressor clearly.
    2) It doesn't cool at a specific time, around 3-5pm, about half the days this week. Other times in the day have been fine.
    3) It hasn't made the screeching sound again.

    I feel like the compressor is starting to fail, and maybe the capacitor issues from before which affected the fan, in turn put more wear on the compressor. We have had 104-106+ high temps all week...does the compressor ever fail in relation to the outside temp?

    FYI I keep it at 85 deg during the day and 78 at around 5pm. On the weekends (which has followed the afternoon failing pattern) I keep it at 78 all day.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northern VA 38 degrees N by 76 degrees W
    Posts
    5,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyma45 View Post
    I recently had issues with my upstairs A/C, the outside condenser unit was shutting off randomly at random times while the internal fan continues to run. (Details in this thread: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....s-off-randomly) In a nutshell, I had the A/C tech come back out after I recorded a video of the condenser unit emitting a high pitched screeching/whine sound. He changed out the capacitor, and we were issue-free for a week.

    (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJp8QTFWRxg).

    This week though it has been not cooling yet again, however I've noticed this is a different issue:

    1) Internal fan runs, and so does condenser fan but I do not hear the compressor on. When it is cooling, you can hear the compressor clearly.
    2) It doesn't cool at a specific time, around 3-5pm, about half the days this week. Other times in the day have been fine.
    3) It hasn't made the screeching sound again.

    I feel like the compressor is starting to fail, and maybe the capacitor issues from before which affected the fan, in turn put more wear on the compressor. We have had 104-106+ high temps all week...does the compressor ever fail in relation to the outside temp?

    FYI I keep it at 85 deg during the day and 78 at around 5pm. On the weekends (which has followed the afternoon failing pattern) I keep it at 78 all day.

    Thanks!
    The O/D ambient does have an effect on the compressor, but should not cause issues with it turning on and off.

    The system may be over charged or air flow over condenser is restricted.

    A lot more data would help such as voltage, amperage, pressures, temperatures etc.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    40
    ...is there an easy way to find that information? I'm not handy at all.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyma45 View Post
    ...is there an easy way to find that information? I'm not handy at all.
    Ya Call in a Pro!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    11,279
    Condenser fan motor stalled out, compressor went into bypass, finally cut out on internal overload...high pitched squeal afterward was bypass still open until pressures equalized a bit. Then it stopped and left you with silence.

    Tech may have changed capacitor for fan motor out but the motor itself is probably bad.

    Post 10,000...woo hoo!!
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.


    A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Shophound View Post
    Condenser fan motor stalled out, compressor went into bypass, finally cut out on internal overload...high pitched squeal afterward was bypass still open until pressures equalized a bit. Then it stopped and left you with silence.

    Tech may have changed capacitor for fan motor out but the motor itself is probably bad.

    Post 10,000...woo hoo!!
    Hah, congrats! So, if the condenser fan is still working right now when the compressor is off (and no coolness) would this fix my current issue? And, I do plan to call a tech, I just don't want a repeat of my previous tech who was unable to diagnose anything if it was blowing cold at the moment.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northern VA 38 degrees N by 76 degrees W
    Posts
    5,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyma45 View Post
    Hah, congrats! So, if the condenser fan is still working right now when the compressor is off (and no coolness) would this fix my current issue? And, I do plan to call a tech, I just don't want a repeat of my previous tech who was unable to diagnose anything if it was blowing cold at the moment.
    it is hard to say what is wrong with the compressor, but the individual that changed to capacitor should have taken all of the measurements and posted on his service ticket.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    36

    How to post a question and know the reviews on this website..?

    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

    You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

    Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-06-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Non AOP Member

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northern VA 38 degrees N by 76 degrees W
    Posts
    5,058
    Quote Originally Posted by mohsinrkhan86 View Post
    Congrats for your 10K posts. Now can anyone/you can help me know how can i post a question in this hbac-talk forum. I am new into it and have bunch to ask...
    Well you just posted, and you will get an Email notification each time someone responds to a post that you are subscribed to.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    it is hard to say what is wrong with the compressor, but the individual that changed to capacitor should have taken all of the measurements and posted on his service ticket.
    He came to replace it when I wasn't in, and did not send an invoice. I'll have to reach out to see if he has it. Thanks

  11. #11
    jpsmith1cm's Avatar
    jpsmith1cm is offline Global Moderator/AOP Committee
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,386
    mohsinrkhan86

    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

    You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

    Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.


    You should review the AOP rules and site rules. I edited your post because that is the rules for this forum.

    You should look on the main forum page for a button to start a new thread.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    11,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyma45 View Post
    Hah, congrats! So, if the condenser fan is still working right now when the compressor is off (and no coolness) would this fix my current issue? And, I do plan to call a tech, I just don't want a repeat of my previous tech who was unable to diagnose anything if it was blowing cold
    Often I can spot a condenser fan motor showing signs of impending death. Lateral play in the motor shaft. Amp draw excessive. Bearings feeling a bit stiff with the motor de-energized. Imbalanced fan blades. Etc. A tech need not wait for the thing to fail in order to look for these signs.

    While I have seen videos of fan blades where they appear to be turning slowly due to the frame rate of the camera, in your case it was obvious the blades were not turning at all! That is NOT GOOD!
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.


    A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Shophound View Post
    Often I can spot a condenser fan motor showing signs of impending death. Lateral play in the motor shaft. Amp draw excessive. Bearings feeling a bit stiff with the motor de-energized. Imbalanced fan blades. Etc. A tech need not wait for the thing to fail in order to look for these signs.

    While I have seen videos of fan blades where they appear to be turning slowly due to the frame rate of the camera, in your case it was obvious the blades were not turning at all! That is NOT GOOD!
    So to clarify, the fan is spinning well right now. The video was from the previous issue (which the capacitor fix took care of). It has not made that sound (and the fan has been working well) since the fix. If the motor is still bad, would it cause the current issue of shutting off the compressor only during a couple of the afternoon hours?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event