Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Adequate return and your good to go

"I have a beast of a room, 450 sq ft, 14 foot ceilings. 4 supply grills on the floor, and an inadequate double return, placed 10 foot high.
    "

You have a 5 ton system for a 450sqft space???
    Is it a green house? Or is it located on the sun?
    4 supply grills for a 5 ton system? Those must be some big registers.

I added a return to a similar system. 4 Ton system, open finished attic. Air handler pulls return from 25' away on a far interior wall, supply blows right out of air handler. Went through blower motors on a yearly basis. We refused to warranty any replaced parts untill return is taken care of.
    Added a return, 4' under the supply. System works better, haven't replaced a motor in 5 years. Not the "best" solution, but it was the only solution, and atleast he doesn't have to replace the blower every summer.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

hvacvegas--no it's just one of many rooms, part of a zone, for the 5 ton system. I'm just desperate to find more return air, and this bit under the cabinet seems like the most plausible. It is a big open floor plan, so i guess it will pull air from other rooms. There is slate floor through much of the rest of the house, and i think interior walls are over the slate. I am just not confident someone could drill/cut into it to get return from another area. This minifridge/cabinet is resting right over the air handler, over ?plywood, seems like they could connect it easily.

Do you think the plan (return near the supply/ceiling fan etc.) is ok?

Steve

"beast of a room" is relative. I hav a master bedroom suits that's around 650sqft. It only has 4 supply registers and 2 returns, but only needs about 1 ton of cooling for that total space. A simlar space downstairs is semi open and around 800sqft. IT also only needs about 1 ton.

As mentioned, you either have enough return or you don't. Location isn't that critical... at least not compared to supplies. If a supply has good throw, the best location for a return may actually be almsot adjacent to the supply.

Quote Originally Posted by central nj View Post
    hvacvegas--no it's just one of many rooms, part of a zone, for the 5 ton system. I'm just desperate to find more return air, and this bit under the cabinet seems like the most plausible. It is a big open floor plan, so i guess it will pull air from other rooms. There is slate floor through much of the rest of the house, and i think interior walls are over the slate. I am just not confident someone could drill/cut into it to get return from another area. This minifridge/cabinet is resting right over the air handler, over ?plywood, seems like they could connect it easily.

Do you think the plan (return near the supply/ceiling fan etc.) is ok?

Steve
    A diamond saw will cut through it like butter.

Ok, thanks again all. Very Very helpful info.

In my limited experience of trying to pop a tiny hole in floor for an ethernet cable, even after marking it, measuring it from somthing known, etc., thinking I was so smart. When i drilled the hole underneath, it was in the wrong spot when i came upstair to check it. I have visions of the diamond saw 12x12 inch hole cutting into a rafter or the other way cutting into the side of an interior wall. Having a pro do it obviously, but still a tiny risk. If my minifridge path really isn't a problem (which everyone now is saying it isn't), i guess i will go that way.

A+++ help. Thanks.
    Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12