Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    >>>>>>>>>
    I am just getting started in the business. I appreciate the info and think I will stay away from home warranty work
    >>>>>>>>>

actually , home warranty is a great place for techs to get started, because no one cares if you screw up someone's system.

(just make sure you know what you are doing when it comes to compressors)

work there until you think your ready to find a real job.

home warranty companies charge a monthly or yearly fee,

then the AC company can blackmail customers into buying a PM service plan by showing them that their contract can be voided due to dirty coils, etc

the company i worked for charged 149.00 per year for one system.
    (the tech gets less then half of that for doing ALL the work)

naturally , the home warranty company is in cahoots with the realters, so they try to get their contracts sold with every home purchase.

the home warranty collects their monthly/yearly fees,

the AC company collects their yearly fee , plus the deductable, and pays discounted prices for parts because of bulk orders

the only person pushed out of the money loop is the technician who is paid per job.
    the technician finds himself burning the day by shopping for some parts ,working major jobs for low wages, and on-hold with the warranty company who demands all the irrelevant unit information,

...then , they argue about past jobs you know nothing about.

the techs can't fight home warranty and AC companies by starting their own businesses , because the homeowners are trapped into this system and have no choice but to pay $40, at the moment, to have their system fixed, instead of ignoring their past payments and pay an expensive price for real service.

when i quit my job , i had 3 compressor jobs lined up (2 on two story rooves), i had a fouth compressor added to my schedule because a tech quit, and i received a weekly paycheck for a 45 hour week, for the amount of $246.

if home warranty companies keep taking over, this will be the future of the residential service technician.

when i quit my job , i had 3 compressor jobs lined up (2 on two story rooves), i had a fouth compressor added to my schedule because a tech quit, and i received a weekly paycheck for a 45 hour week, for the amount of $246.
    Well, part of the problem is guys willing to work for piece rate. I got offered a job by a guy who paid by the call - he kept all the juicy calls for himself and gave the other tech the BS work that didn't pay. He promised I could make $150K/year easy. My friend worked there a week and quit when he got his check.

Hourly is the only way to work. Not commission, not by the piece, etc. Commission techs are there to sell you any and everything you don't need because they have a family to feed. Piece rate guys rush your call through because they need to produce numbers to make money. More and more owners are paying this way because more and more techs will take it. I work hourly, period. You pay me what it actually takes to do the job correctly, and in return I don't screw around or jimmy my time card.

Stop selling yourselves short - if the owners don't trust you to be honest with their time sheets, then you should be looking elsewhere.

Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

i heard from other tech that they will find away to blame the h.o for the failure of there unit they make money that way because you still get pay $40 com.and that makes the rest of the company bad.as you know where sub-contract and we have some guideline to follow. e.g i had h.o denied because the filter was extremely dirty and evap is 80% clog with dirt prior to that cond. coil was also dirty called ahs and it was denied told cust. about it and he was very angry at me for telling ahs about the cond. of his unit, i told him that you cant blame me if you dint take care of your unit just because i told h.w that i found your unit had a very dirty filter and both coil is dirty and the unit need maintenace and which you agree that it is dirty and it need maintenance.you make ok money but not if you have leak or anything that are difficult to diagnose because they still pay you $40 per service call no matter how long it take you to finish that call but,they pay you $100 for changing comp.+$200+ for haul and disposal so if your 20% tech thats $140 ther.

you were getting paid WAY more then i was.

when i started it was $35 flat for everything, then the company wanted to give $100 for compressor.
    we got nothing out of the disposal fee.

the new techs were getting the junk , time consuming ,calls , the senior techs would get some AHS and the non-warranty CODs.

the average GOOD tech would get 5 AHS calls a day for a 12 hour period. $175
    (and there's always none paid call backs)

techs that were artists about denying service would make more.

(and there's always none paid call backs)
    That was another thing that used to bother me. I used to get docked randomly for "call backs", yet no one could supply me a list of who the callback was for, what I did or didn't do, how it was fixed, etc. They just docked your check whatever they felt like.

Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

Crooked. I'm sure glad that I work for a good outfit and get paid by the hour. I work 7 1/2 hours a day (as per the union agreement) and pull in a descent living. If I want to work more, that is always availiable to me.

I do three kinds of work.
    1 - Good - 2 - Fast - 3 - Cheap
    Pick two

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12