Any Realistic Way to Join Local 638(NYC) as Apprentice?

Hey everyone. I'm hoping that someone can provide me with an answer as to how one can join Local 638 in NYC as an apprentice. I do not have any relatives in the union nor any union for that matter. However, being a part of Local 638 would be an honor, and if given the opportunity, I would quickly prove to be an asset.

I am grateful for any response.

do you have experience? I joined the union as a 4th year apprentice by picking up the phone and calling employers, took me a few days and about 15 calls total.

You do not really need the "Uncle Joey Hookup" to get into 638b. It's all contractor sponsored. You get hired by a 638b shop, and after a three month probationary period the contractor has to sponsor your membership or let you go. I think it's a $300 fee for you, it was when i was in.

Email the union hall, they have a wb site w/contacts listed

I see, so contacting local shops is the way to go. Thanks for all of the input! Though I cannot seem to find any email addresses for 638b or anywhere that I can find a list of 638b shops. Does anybody where this information is available?

you have to be hired by a 638 union shop then they have to get you in within 45 days and set you up in apprentice training one day a week the rest working for that company. go over in thebluebook.com type in airconditioning...hit new york then search....hit contractors(***) for listing of 99% of all companies in NYC and the state itself.check out the websites and most 638B shops have webpages..Donnally,JDP(did CITI FIELD),FW SIMS(did Yankee Stadium),Prime Mechanical,Fresh Meadow Mech,Arista,PJ Mech all these have apprentice programs..call TRANE LIC they are looking for apprentices.great time to get in they always need young guys..
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Hi am a local 638b member looking for a job as a helper or apprentice in new York ,I have universal EPA,fire guard and torch permit,also a clean drivers license,anyone here know of any company hiring

go on the www.steamfitters638.com website and fax your resume to all the B shops listed in the metal Trades section
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY