I just installed a DCS VS36 1200cfm wall hood and i can't seem to find any 10" duct supplies. Any ideas how to vent this to the outside wall (it's hung on the outside wall)

thanks in advance
    regularguy

Suggest you hire a pro for this.

That is a lot of air to exhaust from a house, you will need a means of making that air up and ensure that all fuel burning appliances have adequate combustion air.

Actually accomplishing the venting will be the LEAST of your problems, especially if you have any combustion appliances as Carnak mentioned. Even a moderately tight home with 1200 CFM being exhausted could subject to severe backdrafting and high probability of CO poisoning

1200 CFM??? That's the entire airflow for a nominal 3 ton whole house HVAC system...wait a sec... I just surfed this and noticed that the VS36 is rated 600 CFM...the VS1236 is the 1200 CFM unit.

Either way, a heckuva lot of air that you'll need to make up. Another way to look at this is that 600 CFM is the fresh air requirement for a house with 40, yes forty occupants.

At least the thing has multiple fan speeds, and at 9-11 sones, presumably at the highest speeds, you'll definitely know its running...

Is this a house kitchen or a pizzeria?

what the hell are you cooking that you need 1200cfm OF EXHAUST? Brontosaurus burgers?? i put a similar one in not too long ago.......LOUD!!!!!!!! 1200 cfm through a 10" round. I HOPE YOU LIKE NOISE..
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

I have seen that big of hood installed in homes before, but everytime it was just for show, meaning they did not use it, therefore did not require make up air.

In my county it is code to have make up air for any exhaust over 400 cfm I think not sure on the exact number, anyway 600 or 1200 would definitely require make up air here. Thats going to have the doors and windows whistling.

Talking to cfm or not to cfm

wow! i didin't realize i would get this big of a rise out of you guys.
    this is the 1200 cfm unit for sure. I have a 36" Thermador cooktop with four burners and a grill. For obvious reasons i need the large hood for the grilling.
    I don't have a problem hiring a pro its finding the right one that i have a problem with. it's just like any other field, you have the one's that can and do and the ones that do that shouldn't.

The house is about 8 years old it's aprox. 3600 sq ft. This is a semi pro cooks kitchen (not that i'm a semi pro cook, but i love to cook) that will get plenty of use and i need the hood to do the work noise is not a problem, i have kids.

any other advice?

To put it in perspective, that hood will exhaust the equivalent of all the air in your home, over 2 times an hour.

I can see that would be a problem in the winter. would i need to let air in throught the kitchen window ( would that be a good idea. I would only be using the hood on high when using the indoor grill.

I can't imagine i'm the only guy in the world doing this. What is the best solution for this problem. Besides not using the hood.

the only way to get 1200 cfm's out is to let 1200 cfm's in.

opening your front door will probably work.

im in Algonquin, IL do you know any experts in the area?

Originally posted by regularguy
    I can see that would be a problem in the winter. would i need to let air in throught the kitchen window ( would that be a good idea. I would only be using the hood on high when using the indoor grill.

I can't imagine i'm the only guy in the world doing this. What is the best solution for this problem. Besides not using the hood.
    Well the open window would get you by in the summer if you didn't mind the dust.

Open a 24x36 double hung window and feel a 4.5 mph breeze . if it was a kitchen window, the breeze blows over the range and the hood does not catch the smoke

Winter time, that may be a little chilly, you will need a dedicated fan to bring air back in, and you may have to temper this air.

This is really too much air for a passive inlet. Avoid passive inlets that dump untempered air in areas where there are water pipes.

[Edited by Carnak on 09-03-2006 at 04:18 PM]

Originally posted by Carnak
    Suggest you hire a pro for this.

That is a lot of air to exhaust from a house, you will need a means of making that air up and ensure that all fuel burning appliances have adequate combustion air.

There's your answer. This isn't a DIY site.

Thread closed.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.