American Standard Model 2A6B0036A1000AB

Hey all,

I'll try to be brief and give as much info to our 'situation' as possible. We have a american standard home air conditioner, unit model #2A6B0036A1000AB, not sure how many tons it is, that is 8 years old.

Yesterday the air was on blowing hot air and the fan blades outside were not spinning. A friend said to take a wooden spoon or stick and to spin the blades to see if they start, well they did. He said it was probably the capacitor, so I took the old one out (after watching a youtube vid on how to) and went to a HVAC store and got one for $$$. I put it in and it worked and was working (cycling on and off normally) for the rest of the day/evening, about 18 hours. I was pretty proud being as It was my first.

We woke up this morning and the thermostat was on the 76 degree mark (where I keep it) and the snow flake indicated the ac was working fine...but the room temp seemed warm, so outside I went only to see the fan not spinning. I took the stick and tried to 'kick start' it but nothing. I went to turn the breaker off at the main home box, and the AC breaker was in the middle.

I had my wife stand by the thermostat after I put the AC breaker to on and went outside by the unit to see what happened when she turned it to cool (turning the AC on) Well I could hear the 'thud' of a breaker being flipped...and, sure enough it was in the middle again. After a rinse and repeat it did the same thing.

We called our church and got an older 13k window unit that was not being used until we can figure out how to avoid high $$$$$ weekend service calls or even 'unnecessary $$$$$$ work and or parts replaced'.....meaning I would like to throw this out there and get some opinions/advice as to what it may or may not be. Having as much knowledge before a tech comes out (if needed) would make me feel better. So here I am. I hope this is enough detail, if not, please ask what else is needed

Thank you in advance,

Dave
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-06-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Pricing

** Wish I could change the title..must be the heat. Should be American. Sorry.

A breaker instantly tripping when the unit tries to turn on is usually a really bad sign.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Is there anything that is a 'typical issue' that would make it trip after a capacitor change where the unit ran and cycled normally for about 18 hours?

Any clue as to what is considered "bad"?

The AC not working is bad by itself..could you be a little more specific?

Got a short somewhere. Better leave things alone til a tech can look at it. Could be a simple wire pinched... or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Got a short somewhere. Better leave things alone til a tech can look at it. Could be a simple wire pinched... or worse.
    I don't think I've ever been on a website set up for 'help' that was so tight lipped with...helping. I understand most of you guys are hvac workers and don't want to do or say anything that might cost you or your fellow brothern some cash....but really?? 'it's bad when a breaker flips'? or 'get a tech out to look at it', could be a wire or several hundred things'? Wow..

Not putting any effort to help someone save money or give them advice about things to say to the tech or ask, that may save someone from getting ripped off (yes, it happens). Maybe a 'well if it's your compressor, here is what you can ask the tech and it could possibly save you a hundred dollars..like instead of a American Standard compressor, ask about a Copeland..may be cheaper, and would work just fine..etc etc etc....

Just my $0.02

Think I will start a website for people with tire issues...just let them type a few paragraphs and then post to their situation, 'hmmm, could be the rubber or tread depth or stem or tread design......sounds like you need to go to a tire shop'. Easy enough.

Maybe call this one 'no matter what you say, we will say take it in to a tire shop'.

Thanks guys..middle of summer, we have 3 kids and really no extra money to go out of our budget this month. Great advice, kudos.

I'm sorry, but I wasn't asking how to change anything myself etc and these replies are the pro help advice?

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by dknxvll View Post
    I don't think I've ever been on a website set up for 'help' that was so tight lipped with...helping. I understand most of you guys are hvac workers and don't want to do or say anything that might cost you or your fellow brothern some cash....but really?? 'it's bad when a breaker flips'? or 'get a tech out to look at it', could be a wire or several hundred things'? Wow..

Not putting any effort to help someone save money or give them advice about things to say to the tech or ask, that may save someone from getting ripped off (yes, it happens). Maybe a 'well if it's your compressor, here is what you can ask the tech and it could possibly save you a hundred dollars..like instead of a American Standard compressor, ask about a Copeland..may be cheaper, and would work just fine..etc etc etc....

Just my $0.02

Think I will start a website for people with tire issues...just let them type a few paragraphs and then post to their situation, 'hmmm, could be the rubber or tread depth or stem or tread design......sounds like you need to go to a tire shop'. Easy enough.

Maybe call this one 'no matter what you say, we will say take it in to a tire shop'.

Thanks guys..middle of summer, we have 3 kids and really no extra money to go out of our budget this month. Great advice, kudos.

I'm sorry, but I wasn't asking how to change anything myself etc and these replies are the pro help advice?
    yeah...it could be any of those things...the good advice was get someone to look at it and post back here with what they say. Like others have said with the information given...it could be simple or it could be complex.

As far as your tire analogy....the information you gave was the tire could be flat or not......but you can't tell by lookin at it....if its..FLAT you don't even know if your compressor is bad????

Here is an example: customer calls last saturday and says his blower motor has failed...I go out there and its only a relay....30 minutes later his "bad blower motor" is running fine....Thank god he didn't come on here and look for advice on what blower motor to replace it with......

Just my :02: