Thread: Reversed coil???

Post Likes

Reversed coil???

I had a brand new trane installed in april. I have been wondering why my humidity spikes everytime the unit turns on. Well I noticed a decent amount of water in the drain pan. I looked inside AH, and noticed insulation very wet, and looking inside i noticed the coil is reversed! The bottom of the "a" is facing the blower, return air is passing through the top of the"a". I see water dripping down...and I assume is blowing through the blower and into the ducts when its running, and i guess is why the pan is filled.. The coil sounds like its reversed...correct??? I will be calling installer tomorrow. Should i request a brand new AH since its been getting wet since april? Thoughts and suggestions please. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Need pictures, but if the air handler is installed in the horizontal left position, the coil i supposed to be flipped with the apex of the coil facing into the return.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Need pictures, but if the air handler is installed in the horizontal left position, the coil i supposed to be flipped with the apex of the coil facing into the return.
    Supply----fan-coil>---------Return air
    Don't have pics at the moment, but my diagram shows my air handler. Return air comes from right, and coil "point" is as the diagram shows, then fan, then supply goes out left. Does this look correct? Or reversed?

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Yes.
    Thanks, any ideas why I have alot of moisture under the fan? The insulation is wet, and the emergency pan underneath has a decent amount of water.I will provide a link...on page 16....is a diagram. My unit has the coil reversed....WHY?
    http://crea.com.co/imagenes/PDF/Cat_...60_CATALOG.pdf

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by suzook View Post
    Thanks, any ideas why I have alot of moisture under the fan? The insulation is wet, and the emergency pan underneath has a decent amount of water.I will provide a link...on page 16....is a diagram. My unit has the coil reversed....WHY?
    Could be an install (or dirty filter) problem. May have to get someone local to check it.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    Filter is clean....check out my link. Why does that show the apex pointed toward the fan, away from the return???

Post Likes
    Filter is clean....check out my link. Why does that show the apex pointed toward the fan, away from the return???
    What is the model number of your air handler?

If it isn't a TWG air handler, your link doesn't apply to what you have.

If you indeed do have a TWG air handler, the apex of the coil should point towards the blower.
    It isn't actually possible to flip the coil on a TWG air handler, without field modifications, and would result in the drain pan being above the coil if the unit is installed with the supply on the left.

Post Likes
    Your right, its not that model. Its the latest vs ah from trane. I just don't understand why the insulation under the blower is wet, along with corrosion on the wire terminals already. Guess I will call the installer back. Any suggestions?

Post Likes
    better call your installer, has it done this since day 1? might have a plugged drain which would mean all the humidity in your house is going back into your house and in your unit

Post Likes
    As I recall, some of the Trane airhandlers required a larger metal plate be installed at the apex of the A coil for certain configurations. I don't know if the current production requires it as I've not worked for a Trane dealer in 4 years.
    “I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by allan38 View Post
    As I recall, some of the Trane airhandlers required a larger metal plate be installed at the apex of the A coil for certain configurations. I don't know if the current production requires it as I've not worked for a Trane dealer in 4 years.
    They come equipped with the apex baffle that will work in all configurations.
    For some configurations, including horizontal left, installing the smaller apex baffle increases airflow efficiency, but doesn't affect drainage.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in