New System Question

I have been looking into and researching a new system for my home. I have a question that may seem strange. Is there a system that can cool a house to the mid 60's especially at night. I am disabled and the medications I'm on makes me hot all the time. I have to have it what most people would consider cold in my home to be comfortable. My home is well insulated and has double pain vinyl windows with Low-E glass.

I asked a question here last month about using mini-split in the whole house as one company suggested, but only got one response. I'm just not sure if that would be the answer. This company told me this would be better because there would be no duct work to cool in the attic. My home is about 1800 sqft. ranch style home on a slab. It has a 14 year old 3 ton Lennox heatpump with electric backup now with the duct work in the attic. It will cool the house to the lower 70's on the very hot days we are having here in Arkansas (100-110 degrees) which seems to becoming normal here, but it runs all day and half the night to do it.

I need some advice on what type of system would be the best to cool my house. I've had one company tell me I should go to an A/C unit with a furnace. I do not have natural gas service available and will not in the foreseeable future. I do have propane gas into my house. So what are you the Pro's suggestion? Heatpump again that is more efficient? A/C with a furnace running on the propane or the mini splits through out the house. Any advise anyone may have I would appreciate.

Your request is unusual but not impossible. What this requires is a load analysis for your home that is both accurate and set to deliver the low temperature you require. In short, you'll need a larger system installed, including duct work, than would be normal for the home. I'd recommend you consider a modulating heat pump by Bryant, Carrier or Nordyne. All have the same compressor and can vary their output from 30% to 100% of full capacity. This allows the HP to be sized to the extreme needs of your situation while still providing great comfort when the outdoor conditions are less extreme. It will also provide more Btu's for HP winter heating, thus using less aux. heat in winter. The efficiency of these systems is also extraordinarily high to lower energy bills. I'd guess you could probably run a 5.0-ton modulating system for about the same cost as a 3.0-ton system. Keep in mind, it's imperative that a knowledgeable company that's well versed in both system design and product specifications be used for this job. You'll need a new, thoroughly sealed and insulated duct system as well as the new indoor and outdoor equipment. The installed cost will be high but the results will be stellar.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

skippedover, Thanks for the quick reply! There is a Carrier/Bryant dealer in a near by town that I have been told is the best HVAC company in the area. I'll give them a call in the morning and see what they have to say. I'll make sure they are willing to do the load analysis before I even have them come out. I realize this is going to be pricey, but I want to be comfortable in the summer.

A larger unit will require larger duct work and adding supplies and returns.
    Do you Need your whole house at the mid 60s, or just one or 2 rooms.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I don't guess I would need the whole house at that temperature, just the master bed room & the living room. That's were I've spend most of my life for the last year.

Might be cheaper to use a window unit or mini split as a helper.

Ho is your current unit doing as far as keeping the humidity down.
    Contractor locator map

I don't seem to have a problem with humidity in the house.

I'd probably just get a window unit for the bedroom, and set a fan at the doorway during the day to blow the cold air into the rest of the house.
    Contractor locator map

beenthere, thank you! That would be a much cheaper option. Also if my children were in for a visit I would not have to freeze them in the spare bedrooms. Would it be a good idea to use a window unit that is a bit over sized for the bedroom since I'll to be cooling the living room doing the day?

A window unit that can cool the bedroom to "normal" com fort temps should be all the bigger you really need. Too big, and it might freeze up at night. Of course, I'm saying this without knowing how big or small your bedroom is.
    Contractor locator map

The bedroom is 252 sqft.