Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Drain line in attic

Please do not laugh but I am at my wits end! We have a Trane xl14i unit installed horizontally in the attic. I need to clean the drain but cannot seem to find the drain line in the attic. I know where the one outside is but can't seem to locate this one. There are PVC pipes up there but nothing that I see connects directly to the unit. Can anyone help? Thank you!

Can you take a picture of the front and back? That may help us help you.
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

Needs some picks to explain this one

I'm happy to. It will be later this evening (the site will probably be down) but I will do it. Thank you for your time!

Name:  ac unit 1.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  32.1 KBName:  ac unit 2.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  39.1 KBName:  ac unit.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  33.9 KB

Good morning!

As promised, please find a few photos attached. There is absolutely nothing coming from the back of the unit...plus I could not get back there to take a photo! This is the deal...there are obviously pvc pipes coming from the unit. I should have stated that the pvc pipes look nothing like the ones I have researched on the internet. What happened is this...the ac stopped cooling Friday night seemingly because the drip pan was full and the sensor triggered. I removed the water from the drip pan and used the shop vac on the exterior pvc pipe on the side of the house. I want to be sure I have removed any blockages so i wanted to clean the drain from the inside, too. Finally, my husband is out of town and I sure would like to fix this on my own! I appreciate your help!

your condensate drain it the one with the black insulation on it. You have one small pvc pipe and a long one next to it. They are just below your flue pipe. Follow that pipe down to where you see another pipe sticking up on it. cover that with tape. go outside to where the drain is and suck it out with the shop vac.

shop vac tip

Quote Originally Posted by SgtBone View Post
    your condensate drain it the one with the black insulation on it. You have one small pvc pipe and a long one next to it. They are just below your flue pipe. Follow that pipe down to where you see another pipe sticking up on it. cover that with tape. go outside to where the drain is and suck it out with the shop vac.
    Wow! I love the shop vac trick! I've always used a drain gun but this seems so much simpler. Thanks!
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Sometimes you cant get the drain gun into drain pan and I've cut the PVC before to blow it out but realized i didn't have any more couplings.

Quote Originally Posted by earlburnermann View Post
    Wow! I love the shop vac trick! I've always used a drain gun but this seems so much simpler. Thanks!
    poor hot water into the line while the vacuum is running and the velocity of the water will scourer the pipe clean.

That gas supply line looks like a house explosion waiting to happen...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Agreed mark.

Homeowner, I suggest you have a professional come out and address some other concerns, and while the tech is there, have him clean the drain line for you.
    There are some very serious problems that need to be addressed.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

what the heck is a drain gun??
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Its a co2 cartridge that has a hose you stick in the drain. Works real good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast