Some basic questions...

I did read through 5 pages and tried a search, but I dont think I really know what I am asking.

I am trying to arm myself with knowledge before I call my local HVAC people

I have purchased a house after relocating to the Dayton area (just north)

House is a single floor, 1800sq ft, brick house with high end double pane Pella windows. We also have a total of 3 skylights between the kitchen and den. We have about 20 windows, and some are pretty darn big.

Duct work is ran through the slab of the house.

I currently have a Trane XL 1200 model TWX730B100A1 (2.5 ton??) built in 5/91. We do not have a gas line to the house. Utility company wants like 15k to get that.

A capacitor and relay switch went bad and the house warranty company sent someone out and they replaced it. The service guy informed me that the unit is pretty old and I should consider a replacement. I said ok as I took it as a sales comment.

We noticed that during the winter, the AUX light came on quite a bit, and the electric bill was high.

So I am considering a replacement before winter.

So now some basic questions.

Do I have to replace the air handler also?

Does a higher ton rating mean faster warming/cooling? We felt cold all winter, but we came from a house with natural gas.

I dont have a lot of cash and prefer to buy things only once, is Trane the way to go?

Is it unreasonable to be able to expect to do this for $? If so, what is a ball park range?

Thank you
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-04-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: price

Quote Originally Posted by xringx View Post
    I did read through 5 pages and tried a search, but I dont think I really know what I am asking.

I am trying to arm myself with knowledge before I call my local HVAC people

I have purchased a house after relocating to the Dayton area (just north)

House is a single floor, 1800sq ft, brick house with high end double pane Pella windows. We also have a total of 3 skylights between the kitchen and den. We have about 20 windows, and some are pretty darn big.

Duct work is ran through the slab of the house.

I currently have a Trane XL 1200 model TWX730B100A1 (2.5 ton??) built in 5/91. We do not have a gas line to the house. Utility company wants like 15k to get that.

A capacitor and relay switch went bad and the house warranty company sent someone out and they replaced it. The service guy informed me that the unit is pretty old and I should consider a replacement. I said ok as I took it as a sales comment.

We noticed that during the winter, the AUX light came on quite a bit, and the electric bill was high.

So I am considering a replacement before winter.

So now some basic questions.

Do I have to replace the air handler also?

Does a higher ton rating mean faster warming/cooling? We felt cold all winter, but we came from a house with natural gas.

I dont have a lot of cash and prefer to buy things only once, is Trane the way to go?

Is it unreasonable to be able to expect to do this for $? If so, what is a ball park range?

Thank you
    Since your equipment is 21 years old it would be best to replace as a complete system. As far as brand goes, it does not really matter that much.

Check the dealer directory in the index on this site and perhaps there will be someone in your area to help.
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-04-2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: price in quote

Agreed. You're not going to be anywhere near new system price with the $ you listed.Think more on the lines of a cheap new car.

Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    Agreed. You're not going to be anywhere near new system price with the $ you listed.Think more on the lines of a cheap new car.
    The price of a "cheap" NEW car?????????? You surely mean the price of a "average" USED car.

It would take the top of the line A/H and H/P (with all the bells and whistles) to come close touching to the price of a new "(Yugo) cheap" car.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    The price of a "cheap" NEW car?????????? You surely mean the price of a "average" USED car.

It would take the top of the line A/H and H/P (with all the bells and whistles) to come close touching to the price of a new "(Yugo) cheap" car.
    Not sure if you saw the OP $. The point was that his expectation wasn't going to cut it,not even close.