+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do techs EXPECT benefits...?

Post Likes
    We're having a problem finding good help. I know, I'm a whiner, everybody is looking for good help. Unfortunately, we can't afford benefits yet. For the right person, we could work something out such as get them an individual health policy but they would have to help cover the cost. But since we don't have benefits, I don't feel right putting it in the ad. So my questions are these:

-Do techs expect to get benefits or would you be willing to work with your new employer if you thought you'd enjoy your work?

-How do other small companies deal with this issue?

Post Likes
    A full time tech should have benefits.

Post Likes
    I'm aware of that, as I said.

Let me reword the question then.

-Are all the techs on this site currently getting benefits from their employer?

-If not, what made you sign on anyway?

Post Likes
    Let me turn the question back to you. Would you want to work somewhere that did not have benefits?

Post Likes

Depends on the situation

If the company was willing to work with me, YES, especially if I enjoy the work. Also, if my spouse already had benefits it wouldn't matter.

As I said, we can get an individual policy for the right person.

I'm asking how do other small companies word this in their ad?

Post Likes
    I believe if you were expected to pay all or even a portion of the benefits they would word it as; benefits are available.

Post Likes
    I jus got a call from a new employer, prospect, who sounds interested in hiring me. He asked what I want for a package.

I figure he is chargiing 60 an hour, and I hear tell, a good man is worth 2.5 of that. So that comes out to 24 an hour for me. Plus benies.
    I checked online and found I can have Blue Cross ppo for $500 a month.
    Divide $500 into 172 working hours a month and you come out with $2.90 an hour which has to be added to that wage.

Then add uniforms, take home truck, and some other minor things ... it all adds up.

hope this helps.

Post Likes

Talking BCBS

Sure is expensive in your area!

Post Likes
    i just went to a smaller company that doesnt have benefits, that really doesnt matter to me. but some other people came with me from my former company and our present employer pays there cobra insurance.our pay is better. i get anhourly rate, which is beyond generous,we get 15% commision on all parts and sales,we get our vans, our cell phones, uniforms, and they are very flexible. like if you need a day off for some reason they make sure your covered.also they treat you like your part of their family.now there some of the guys that live in houses that our employer owns, these are the reasons why i went to work for them...

Post Likes
    At this stage of my life, I wouldn't be able to work for an employer that didn't offer (health ins.) benefits. I have 3 children ranging in age from 5 to 10 years old.

As much as I may enjoy the work, get along with the employer, etc.... I just couldn't do it.

Post Likes
    If you don't or can't offer beneifts, I'd expect the hourly tech pay to be higher than normal to make up for it.

Post Likes
    fortunatly, my kids are off on their own but one and her mom carries ins. and yes most techs where i am avg 32 i make 55... so i dont do bad

Post Likes
    Most, if not all, professional technicians expect benefits or an equivelant additional compensation to cover the costs of purchasing insurance and putting away money for retirement.

I wonder if anyone considers it optional to purchse insurance for their service vehicles or buisness?

I cannot imagine a professional tech accepting less than an object that doesn't bring any money in the door, unless of course their is an agreement, in writing, that he/she/I am now a principle in the buisness.

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    I would like to know why you are not able to afford health insurance for your guys?

If a family HMO casts $1000.00 per month, pay 50% minimum and that breaks down to $2.50 per hour or $500.00 per month.

I would pay 100% of the medical for the employee.

Where i was working the HMO was costing about$300.00 per month with dental.

Post Likes
    No way would I even think of taking a job that does not offer bennies . Hell even McD's offers bennies to thier employees . It is ludicras to think that you will be able to get a technician that is worth anything and not offer bennnies . We are all highly trained HVAC technicians who can go to work for any company @ any given time , what makes you think that ANY technician would work for you when company X is willing to offer them so much more ???
    The old saying rings true ....... You get what you pay for !! Just like with anything else in life !!

Post Likes
    I looked at your help wanted ad.

You know, if I had my own truck and tools, I could also be a "very small company" with "benefits available".

If you are willing to pay (or otherwise compensate) fairly, you should be able to hire qualified help without too much difficulty.

Problem is, if someone is smart enough to meet your expectations, it won't be too long before that same person wonders why they are doing it for you if there is little in return.
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

Post Likes

Adding up

Originally posted by R12rules
    I jus got a call from a new employer, prospect, who sounds interested in hiring me. He asked what I want for a package.

I figure he is chargiing 60 an hour, and I hear tell, a good man is worth 2.5 of that. So that comes out to 24 an hour for me. Plus benies.
    I checked online and found I can have Blue Cross ppo for $500 a month.
    Divide $500 into 172 working hours a month and you come out with $2.90 an hour which has to be added to that wage.

Then add uniforms, take home truck, and some other minor things ... it all adds up.

hope this helps.
    Others can correct me, but I dont believe 24 per hour plus benies, unis, truck, major tools, employers fica, unemployment ins, workers comp, gas, liability insurance,holidays, vacation, unbillable time, ad infinitum.... charged out at 60 per hour "add up"

[Edited by cg2 on 09-02-2006 at 02:06 PM]
    eventu rerum stolidi didicere magistro

right, here! in the heartland of the homeland!
    Post Likes

make up for it in wage

I will take the wage over the bennies, and make it work, theres always a better way!
    and a better tommorow

Post Likes
    If you can't afford to hire a professional you are going to have to come out of the shell a little bit and help pay for something. If you cant pay 500 for the insurance then add a portion of that to their pay. Also be sure to have something set to the side for other things such as 401k and possibly a fund for vacation.

Personaly I wouldnt work for any one who couldn't afford benefits unless they could clearly show progress and growth over the past years and where they plan to be in 5 years. There is a huge risk in going to work for a contractor who flat out tells you that you won't have benefits. Being happy where you work goes a long way but if you are worried about insurance and what is going to happen to you should you get hurt or should you want to actualy retire one day. If you are just after some one to groom and grow with not so many responsibilities then go to the tech schools and target the extremely young ones with out a clue on how important that stuff is. Use them for a year or 2 and hire new again if you don't expect to be growing large enough to add bennies.

Post Likes
    I would not have any techs without offering health insurance. I pay 98% of employee premium they pay to insure family. You mention maybe buying insurance for a select few, I dont know how big your company is but you may run into a discrimination issue if the company purchases the insurance for some but not for all. An option you might look at is a PPO with a high deductable maybe have a few agents quote PPO with $1000., $1500. and $2000. deductable. Most companies are carrying a $500. deductable if they buy a PPO. This would at least cover them for major illness. I am not sure on this but I think if you do not employ 25 people you do not have to carry maternity coverage this could save on cost. I think it would be deceitful to not tell them about deductable & coverages when the benefits are presented to them. If they are paying a portion of the premium you can institute a 125 plan that way their portion will come out of their check without being taxed.
    As soon as you can afford it you should upgrade to a lower deductable plan. Just a thought that came to mind when I read your post.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in