Questions about Old Fedders Window Unit A1R08F2B Series 1473

Hi, I've just found this site, and hope the questions I'm asking are within the rules and guidelines. I've been given an old 05/93 Fedders window unit model A1R08F2B Series 1473, 110v, 7500btu, and am not having any luck finding information on it, such as you would find in any users manual/guide, so I'm hoping some of your experience might can answer these questions just from a great deal of experience. I won't likely be hanging out here that much, but please don't take that as an indication of my being ungrateful for any help you provide in answering.

It has no front panel, and was very filthy, but still sounded solid and smooth, and seemed to be cooling. I dismantled it, removing the entire fan system, and cleaned the evaporator and condenser fins, sealed rusted holes in the base with some red automotive silicone motor gasket sealer, put it all back together, and it still seems to be worth using. I haven't installed it yet, but on my workbench(haha) in the back yard @ 98f, on low cool, it was returning 69-75f. There are 3 knobs, the top one opens the fresh air vent, the second one has 7 positions from top going CW, Off-low fan-low ac-high fan-high ac- and then concluding the circle with low and high fan I believe(but why would it have two separate low and high fan positions?)
    The bottom knob turns appx 3/4 turn, and at the far right it seems to click(on or off/plugged in or not), which I presumed was a temp adjustment. While testing its temps, to the far right reached 72f, and far left dropped momentarily to 68f but then returned to 75then back down. I'm still thinking it's a temp adjustment, but which way is cooler?
    I'll be installing this tomorrow, and also wonder, in your experience, what should be the drop from front to back? I've known one larger, different brand/model, to recommend 3/8" front to back, but it was over 2ft deep, and this one front to back is barely 16". I know this is important to keep a condensation level which allows the fan wheel to pick it up, but what drop would you recommend from front to back as best?

Thanks so much for your time, and experience, as well as any answers you might offer. I put the model number in the thread title, since a google search returned zero results, and hope it might also be helpful to the next person who searches this model

Any Clues? When I did my initial search I didn't get any results, but coming back this morning hoping to find an answer I noticed the A1R in the model, and wondered if I had entered it correctly, because my initial search was for an AIR, so I double checked and the A1R is correct, that's why my initial search returned no results. I'm still searching (with hopefully better results), any clues would still be appreciated

Well, I found a site with some user's guides, and although it didn't have the same model I found as similar as possible and it recommended a half a bubble tilt on the unit, seems kinda steep but whatever. Also the knobs weren't exact, but theirs had colder to the right so i'll go with that unless i find out otherwise

Our site went down for upgrades last night at 11PM. You may get responses now that its back up.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks Beenthere I have some photos I hope will help, and since installing this I've found that the lower knob, L-R, is basically compressor Off/low-On/full.The middle, most important one is still a delusion, my first impressions of it must have been off, and I am so very hoping someone can tell me what each position is. There are 6 positions, the top being OFF, the other 5 I am not sure of, and so very need to know what they are, as I must use this AC as economically as is possible. Thank You, Anyone, for any possible help you may be with this question.

Name:  another label on unit 5017.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  79.0 KBName:  compressor5013.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  60.7 KBName:  fan motor 5010.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  48.7 KBName:  Unit label 5014.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  61.3 KBName:  100_5073.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  50.3 KB

Am I to take it my photos didn't post? I see I've only posted 4 comments, and when I click on one of them, it tells me I don't have the rights to see it

here's what it says when I click on one of the photos, to see if they showed up

"Le_Bear, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    "

It's been a while since I worked on Fedders. So I'm guessing from a bad memory.

Top switch is a vent open close.

Middle switch is off in center position. Clockwise is Cool mode high then medium then low fan with compressor on. Counterclockwise is high then medium then low fan only. No compressor.

Bottom switch is the thermostat. Clockwise is colder.

I hope the coils were clean when you put it in. If it breaks, go find another one. Never stick your head over the compressor terminals on a Fedders window unit.
    jim
    Common sense isn't very common anymore.

And your pictures showed up.

jim
    Common sense isn't very common anymore.

Thanks so much for your reply Jim. You nailed the top and bottom one, but the middle one I'm not sure. Top to right is high fan/no compressor, top to left is low fan/no compressor. Beyond that in every position the compressor is running. I actually posted 5 photos, one showing the face of the unit, less the front cover, which I do not have.

Awww Man!!! I just got it! Thank you so much! Top is Off, Left is low fan, next is low fan/compressor, next is Med fan/compressor, next(still going CC) High fan/ compressor, next(just before return to OFF) is high fan

From those labels, can you maybe say what KWH I might encounter? The Unit label says 9.6 Amps/880 watts? I thought 9.6 amps meant basically 960 watts? (makes it lots easier for me to figure 1.0 amp=a 100 watt light bulb?) I've always thought a 1500 watt space heater equaled 15-100 watt light bulbs? Is there any way to determine from the label specifications at what setting I might run this thing most efficiently? I've about determined to just stay outside until near dark, and then turn it on for a couple of hours to cool my room for the evening. I've already seen that the lower fan speeds produce the lowest temps from it (already seen a 58 on low cool

Here's a picture of the beast ; ) Name:  100_5073.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  50.3 KB Not having a front Bezel, I fashioned one, to cast the output upwards, towards the center of the room, and help keep it from going straight back into the intake