Thread: Restriction in air flow

Post Likes

Restriction in air flow

My a/c wasn't cooling very well so I called a contractor. He found a collapsed air return and open duct in the attic, but said there was also a restriction in the system. The dryer was in bad shape so he took it off, blew out the system, put on a new drier, and put the freon back in. (There was no leak in the system.) He rechecked the system and said there was still a restriction and that he would have to replace the coil in the attic and he would have to come back to do that. Since he left 3 days ago, my a/c is cooling like it used to. Is it possible that restriction resolved after he left?
    The duct and collapsed return have not been repaired yet.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by emaples01 View Post
    My a/c wasn't cooling very well so I called a contractor. He found a collapsed air return and open duct in the attic, but said there was also a restriction in the system. The dryer was in bad shape so he took it off, blew out the system, put on a new drier, and put the freon back in. (There was no leak in the system.) He rechecked the system and said there was still a restriction and that he would have to replace the coil in the attic and he would have to come back to do that. Since he left 3 days ago, my a/c is cooling like it used to. Is it possible that restriction resolved after he left?
    He may have been guessing at the pressures.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by emaples01 View Post
    It's possible that there is still a restriction, but he's overcharged the system sufficiently to compensate for it. It may cool just fine but won't be as efficient, pulling higher amps than necessary. It's also possible that he was mistaken, and there is no restriction. Without some system pressure and temperature data we can only speculate.

Post Likes
    +1 what the last guy said.

Post Likes
    he didn't reattach the supply duct before he left?
    I can understand he didn't replace the return duct
    as he probably didn't have it on the truck, but
    to leave the supply duct blowing in the attic
    is just shoddy.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    Thanks for your help.

Post Likes
    The duct had come apart and he has to replace it with a new duct. He closed it as much as he could.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in