A-Coil Cleaning access question

A-Coil Cleaning access question

This question regards an air handler that is inside the house, first floor closet, vertical position, with the intake right below said unit. The other day I removed the intake grill to check the A-Coil and there was a support 2"x4" that had been placed right in the center of the opening. I was able to squeeze by it sideways, twist around enough to be able to look up at the A-Coil, but it got me wondering. I am a small guy and barely got in, so what do the big hvac service guys do? You must certainly have to remove the 2"x4", but do you put it back in the same place or reposition off center for the next guy or just leave it out altogether? Thanks for any comments.

Quote Originally Posted by lws6772 View Post
    This question regards an air handler that is inside the house, first floor closet, vertical position, with the intake right below said unit. The other day I removed the intake grill to check the A-Coil and there was a support 2"x4" that had been placed right in the center of the opening. I was able to squeeze by it sideways, twist around enough to be able to look up at the A-Coil, but it got me wondering. I am a small guy and barely got in, so what do the big hvac service guys do? You must certainly have to remove the 2"x4", but do you put it back in the same place or reposition off center for the next guy or just leave it out altogether? Thanks for any comments.
    If you are impressed with Harry Potter, wait until you see us in action.
    By the way, that is not a tool pouch either.

Maybe "thanks for ANY comments" was casting too wide a net.

Make sure the return is well sealed and the filter is changed. I prefer to have a 4" filter base and install a 4" media filter. Change every 3 to 6 months. No need to routinely clean the A-Coil. I'd replace the stud where it came from. when I must remove one for repairs. Maintain structural integrity.
    I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by allan38 View Post
    Make sure the return is well sealed and the filter is changed. I prefer to have a 4" filter base and install a 4" media filter. Change every 3 to 6 months. No need to routinely clean the A-Coil. I'd replace the stud where it came from. when I must remove one for repairs. Maintain structural integrity.
    Thanks for the reply. I don't routinely clean the A-coil, but it seemed like my system was sucking in outside air(as in too much), so it sent me scrambling in our Texas triple digits. This(too much outside air) happened once before when we first bought the house. While showing us the house, the builder cranked up to dial on the ventilator control to about 30, but I didn't notice it at the time. It was winter and the system wouldn't shut off till I adjusted that little dial. One little item I found was an uninsulated section of suction line in the attic. It was in a tight spot and I guess the contractor figured the h.o. would never see it anyway. It is an energy star house, but the system is sized with very little room for error(1.5 tons for 1250 sq. ft.), so needless to say I try to keep everything clean, sealed and good flowing.