Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    I knew Nest was overpriced, but as bad as Lux/Hunter?
    I was being over-dramatic.

The problem with the nest, is that it's s thermostat that controls simple systems.
    Meaning that anyone who has a high efficiency air conditioner (2-stage), and then trys to install the nest, has problems.

Duel fuel, your screwed.

Using a programable thermostat on any cast boiler is something I suggest against also.

The only people who can use the nest, are people who have standard AC/gas furnace, or standard Hp/Air handler.

People who buy a Nest thermostat, are usually the ones who want high efficiency air conditioners. Those "green" types.
    Meaning, alot of the Nest's market, can't even use the stat.

Our company's market is very focused into non-standard systems. Geo, high efficiency a/c, Duel fuel, water + steam boilers, Air handler/boiler/heat pump, radiant infloor, mini-splits. The majority of our forced air have dehumidification, on-demand humidification. In 7 years, I've installed 2, 80% gas furnaces.

I've talk to 2 customers who wanted the Nest. After I explained that you had to pick between high efficiency, or the Nest, we installed an IAQ.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Agreed, the configuration options leave a lot to be desired for the Nest. Just like you were saying not any better than the battery powered big box stats. Another thing about nest creating problems is it's "power stealing" instead of requiring a common connection. It can be common wired, but most installations don't use a common wire.

+1 for recommendations for Honeywell Prestige 2.0

I worked on my own heat pump and forgot to plug in the condenser fan. My Prestige 2.0 (with supply and return temperature sensors) notified me with an error message of the heat pump problem.
    Plus it controls our dual fuel, humidifier, dehumidifier and ERV. And has Internet Gateway for access when we're not at home. It also has the email alerts for temperatures outside my specified parameters.

Our customers like it, too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12