A couple was found dead in their apartment last week of apparent CO poisoning. CO was found in their apartment and 42 others. The CO Alarms didn't go off in any apartments because the levels were too low. They are suppose to go off after you die, I am pretty sure. Couple had been going to the doctor for a month because of headaches, nausea etc and diagnosed with all the wrong things. They had a CO Alarm in their apartment but it didn't go off. Another resident said theirs went off but they didn't know what it was.
The fire department is determining which appliances are unsafe or that how it sounds. I am sure there are a few contractors on HVAC-Talk that might want to offer a helping hand, of course that might involve some liability. I am guessing that will not be the last story from that complex.