Lennox vs. Goodman...

I need to replace furnace and A/C unit which both are 28 years old. There are 2 local contractors qave me different packages but almost same prices quotation. I need help to make decision soon.

#A contractor quoted me Lennox basic models of furnace -ML180UH090XP48B (80%efficient) and 4 tons -13ACX-048 condenser.

#B contractor quote me Goodman 95% variable speed 2 stage furnace and 3 ton ,16 seer condenser.

I have 1500 sq ft small house and old furnace produces loud noise. If I go with #A, i am thinking spend money to move furnace to attic. #B sells me higher efficiency and insulated models but I don't know much about Goodman.

I am grateful s anyone can give me suggestions.

Thank you.
    Last edited by ccinla57; 08-03-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: adding lines

Goodman is a low line piece of equipment. Lennox is upper line. Find a trane dealer and be done lol.

4 tons for 1500 sq ft? 90K furnace? No wonder it's noisy in there

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    4 tons for 1500 sq ft? 90K furnace? No wonder it's noisy in there
    Maybe it's one of them glass houses lol

Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    Goodman is a low line piece of equipment. Lennox is upper line. Find a trane dealer and be done lol.
    You really want to go with this please.

Op Goodman is an excellent line of equipment especially the Furnace if it is installed properly which is true of any product the installation is key.

I would recommend that you have a load calculation performed and the ductwork evaluated to insure it can accommodate the airflow required of the new system.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post

Op Goodman is an excellent line of equipment especially the Furnace if it is installed properly which is true of any product the installation is key.

I would recommend that you have a load calculation performed and the ductwork evaluated to insure it can accommodate the airflow required of the new system.
    Thanks for your reply. Duct work will be redone with ducting R8. So, does duct evaluation still need? I understand installation is most important part of work. any tips or suggestion for choosing the right technicians?

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post

Cost wise it is cheap, I didn't get into quality, I'm not a Lennox fan and if it were me I would go for the goodman I'n this case but I live in a winter climate, and 80% is not even a consideration. So yes my answer still is that goodman any Tom dick and Harry can go buy because it's low line and you don't need to be a dealer, and Lennox even though I'm not a fan is upper line. With anything if it's installed correctly it can be a great piece of equipment.

Goodman is the #1 selling residential brand in the United States and they manufacture in Houston and the Nashville area. They also own the rights to the trade names Amana and Whirlpool.

I wouldn't hesitate to take the Goodman equipment bid on this job, it is a far superior system. As as factory, Goodman is as financially healthy as they come. They have a high market share and the strongest distribution network in the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ1534 View Post
    Goodman is the #1 selling residential brand in the United States and they manufacture in Houston and the Nashville area. They also own the rights to the trade names Amana and Whirlpool.

I wouldn't hesitate to take the Goodman equipment bid on this job, it is a far superior system. As as factory, Goodman is as financially healthy as they come. They have a high market share and the strongest distribution network in the industry.
    I would hesitate....maybe you have a better distribution network where you are....Just like pricing...your local conditions may vary

In my area Trane,. Lennox and Goodman/Janitrol/Amana/Whirlpool distribution channels (product and warranty support) are terrible.

Install trumps "Brand" but unless you are in a glass house I wouldn't put a 4 ton in a 1500sqft house.
    It's not the Brand with the fewest repairs-It's all in the install!!! Attention to detail and using the best materials!

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    I would hesitate....maybe you have a better distribution network where you are....Just like pricing...your local conditions may vary

In my area Trane,. Lennox and Goodman/Janitrol/Amana/Whirlpool distribution channels (product and warranty support) are terrible.

Install trumps "Brand" but unless you are in a glass house I wouldn't put a 4 ton in a 1500sqft house.
    I was just replying to the OP who said "I don't know much about Goodman" and as a whole and their reputation. I agree OP should consider location as the distribution channels look much different in various locations.

Install does trump brand anywhere and by what limited information given, I think the Goodman contractor here is more reputable. The sizing appears to more accurate and the guy isn't out pitching a builders grade model. In my opinion, the contractors that are out selling high efficiency are flat out better than the ones selling 13 SEER.

Have a load calc done. get the smallest furnace that can move the air for your A/C. When is the last time it dropped below 40 degrees in the winter. Doubt you need 4 tons for a little 1500 sq ft place. Probably less then 3 tons.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?