Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by neophytes serendipity

What does union membership have to do with it?

You mean to tell me that there has never been a non-union company that has never, ever hired lower paid replacements for senior workers?

Yeah, right.

I agree with you and feel that if this particular contractor was non-union, I would have been forced to take a substantial pay cut a long time ago.

The contractor I worked for is a poster child for why the industry needs unions.

Pay Cuts

I browsed through the want ads earlier this year when I was out of work- just checking my options in case nothing turned up for this union member.

The pay offered for non-union sheet metal workers and service techs was 30% to 50% lower than my rate. Most ads required that the job seeker own a truck and tools.

I can also weld, and I hold two certifications. The welding jobs in the want ads paid less than half of what I make.

So, either I make way too much, or the people placing those ads are really screwing over their employees.
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

The industry itself does not need unions.

The union did not help you at all in the job before and new you were getting sh!t canned before you did.
    What this industry needs are good technicians who stick together and if a company try to stick it to a good technician they get it shoved back in their a$$ ten fold.
    Competitor gets great technicians. Old company gets a trip to bankruptcy court and a forclosure auction. Due to lack of compentent technicians. Bottom line "You get what you pay for."

Tech Union

I know the union does not care about "me". They care about the money the employer sends them. They care about getting more employers signed on to send in more money for their employees. My benefit package is worth $30,000.00 if I work a full 2000 hour year without OT.

About what I would make a year around here at most non-union outfits.

As a side benefit of all that, I get paid better than the overwhelming majority of the other people in my line of work in my area. I also get better benefits than most. If I get laid off from ABC INC, I start at the same wage and benefits package at XYZ INC. My health and retirement benefits don't reset, either.

Is everything peachy as a union member? Nope. But it sure in the hell beats being a non-union employee in this line of work.

What happened to markettech happens all the time in the employment world. My dad lost his job to lower paid foreign labor- outsourcing. It's the same thing, the company found someone to do it for less. And, they knew about it long before he did.

Why would the union care about what happens to markettech? The company he works for now has two employees paying dues to the union instead of just one. Yeah, it sucks, but the union doesn't care about individual bodies- just the total number of them.

Trying to get all the techs to "stick together" sounds just like a union to me.

It'll never happen, though. Plenty of employees "buying" their jobs here by working for free and supplying tools and trucks for the employers- and these are fellow union members doing it.

[Edited by neophytes serendipity on 09-02-2006 at 09:57 AM]
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

Re: Update on offer #2

Originally posted by markettech
    One of the owners called me last night and asked if I could meet the other owners today for lunch. They asked me several questions about my abilities and thoughts on growing the division. I in turn asked them some in depth questions regarding level of commitment to this endevour, where they see the division in 6mo/1yr. and so on.

To make a long story short, they want to bring me on board as a servicing salesman. I would start out spending a good portion of the week speaking with customers and the rest of the week doing service. Right off, I see some potential downfalls to this but it sounds challenging and I think I would be pretty damn good at it.

I told them I would think it over for the weekend, but am leaning toward offer #2

#2 sounds like alot of freedom. You know the area and the trade already.
    Go with # 2 and mop the floor with your old company

Is offer # 1 the big "H" ?

Re: Re: Update on offer #2

Originally posted by NedFlanders
    Originally posted by markettech
    One of the owners called me last night and asked if I could meet the other owners today for lunch. They asked me several questions about my abilities and thoughts on growing the division. I in turn asked them some in depth questions regarding level of commitment to this endevour, where they see the division in 6mo/1yr. and so on.

To make a long story short, they want to bring me on board as a servicing salesman. I would start out spending a good portion of the week speaking with customers and the rest of the week doing service. Right off, I see some potential downfalls to this but it sounds challenging and I think I would be pretty damn good at it.

I told them I would think it over for the weekend, but am leaning toward offer #2

#2 sounds like alot of freedom. You know the area and the trade already.
    Go with # 2 and mop the floor with your old company

Is offer # 1 the big "H" ?
    Sure is

right, here! in the heartland of the homeland!

market tech

whats the update?
    are both them jobs all they turned out to be? or expected?
    as for me on my end , i got some leads, and am following up
    on them now,,,
    just curious,,
    hope things go as planned for ya with that new job,

Re: market tech

Originally posted by isitfixedyet
    whats the update?
    are both them jobs all they turned out to be? or expected?
    as for me on my end , i got some leads, and am following up
    on them now,,,
    just curious,,
    hope things go as planned for ya with that new job,
    I took offer #2 and started today, actually. The owners seem extremely helpful. They are working hard on getting me set up with a truck, laptop, etc.

Sounds like the owners want me to take on a sales role more so than service, which after 17 years in the field, is just fine with me.

Time will tell whether or not I made the right choice, but for now the honeymoon is in full swing.

Never thought of myself as a salesman, but went 4 for 4 with picking up new customers today (must be beginners luck).

Keep me posted on how things are going for you, will ya

right, here! in the heartland of the homeland!

that's good to hear!

I know who it is, youre working for they offered me the same, but they had other intentions , originally with me as service mgr, but wanted me to do the install thing,, if its the same as the big H,
    if not good to hear that its working out for ya!
    I would like to do that too, or try that, they came back and offered me, anothertime but i missed the message and never got back with them, i was already working, and doing fine!
    I got some prospects in Ca, and so it goes,
    one is a interview as a service mgr, for res,
    and the other is a sales in the field and or office with another company they want me to meet with them, in the next couple days,,???
    the service mgr co., seems like they go through, alot of mgrs????
    and the other i know nothing about till i talk to them, i just got an email, to contact them,,, to set up interview, but time and travel is costly , when a guy is out of work, especially long distances.
    the svc mgr position is offering some half the fare money, and a sign on bonus.,
    so that is the one I am going to Meet with first.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12