Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have received 2 job offers today. Just wondering, if you were in my shoes, which one would you be more inclined to accept?

Offer #1 - Is from a well established refrigeration company (the largest in the world in fact). They want to open a branch in my area which is approx 90 miles from the current shop. After the interview I was told by the service manager that they are looking at me as field service manager in my area as soon as it can support 3 techs. The pay is average ($1.50 less and hour than union scale) with 25 PTO days. The service manager told me he will only be able to be in the area 1 day every other week, so it sounds like I will be on an island more or less. As far as call rotation, I would be on every 3rd weekend and would be in the rotation with the main office (covering alot of ground on call). This company already has 5 or so accounts in my area as a service base to build from.

Offer #2 - Is from a well know area mechanical contractor that has been in business since 1910. This company is known for quality work throughout the plumbing and industrial HVAC industry and has about 40 employees. They want to start a refrigeration branch from the ground floor. I was told during my interview today to view this as starting my own business without the financial risk while still benefiting from immediate name recognition. The pay is considerably more (Foreman's wage - $2.00 over union scale) but with no PTO days. I would be on call every weekend (until we get a customer/tech base built up) unless I specifically ask for a weekend off and then the HVAC guys would cover. This company has no current refrigeration clients, however, they are willing to pay me to build the business and they have current plumbing customers who have refrigeration equipment as well.

Any feedback you have is appreciated.

Take the money!

take it from me , an out of work newbie, definatly #2

right, here! in the heartland of the homeland!

offer #1

take number one if it were me!

As a union guy with no paid holidays, lemme tell ya, there is value to that.

What happens if the company #2 plans don't work out so well, seeing how they have no refrigeration experience or customers? Will the HVAC side carry you?

You are talking about what- a $3.50 per hour pay difference?

At $30 per hour, the 25 PTO days are worth $6,000.00. Will you get OT at company #1? You will have to work 1714 hours to make $6000.00 at $3.50 an hour. That is 214 days.

Hmmm, 214 days working for a company that has no experience in the field they want YOU to start, or 214 days with an established refrigeration company....

Looks like a no brainer to me.

I don't think #2 is offering enough money for the responsibility anyways. Get a loan and do it yourself- same thing, right?
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

Whats wrong with the Job you have know?

I get Job offers all the time, more money and the world is always included. Im a simple man like where Im at, if there was something else I needed I would talk to the owner.

[Edited by weber on 08-31-2006 at 11:07 PM]
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

Originally posted by weber
    Whats wrong with the Job you have know?

I get Job offers all the time, more money and the world is always included. Im a simple man like where Im at, if there was something else I needed I would talk to the owner.

[Edited by weber on 08-31-2006 at 11:07 PM]
    THIS is what is wrong with the job I have now

Id be pissed to, Things like that is why I stay away from the union. Im a small bussniess man, the working man who built this country. And thats what I stick to. I make damn good money but work hard for it and so does my guys. But they were just taking advantage of you. If your in CA Ill hire you. and take care of you.
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

I'd take #2, if that didn't work out, I'd fall back on #1 if it was still available. There's enough work to keep everyone busy, one thing I've found in this business is someone's always hiring =)

I would go back to job offer #1 and push for another buck.

#2 4 sure although #1 good u going to have lots of leg work building. were as #2 have a good cust. base to work from and build on. just my thoughts although the on call going to be a pain at biggening, good luck

Update on offer #2

One of the owners called me last night and asked if I could meet the other owners today for lunch. They asked me several questions about my abilities and thoughts on growing the division. I in turn asked them some in depth questions regarding level of commitment to this endevour, where they see the division in 6mo/1yr. and so on.

To make a long story short, they want to bring me on board as a servicing salesman. I would start out spending a good portion of the week speaking with customers and the rest of the week doing service. Right off, I see some potential downfalls to this but it sounds challenging and I think I would be pretty damn good at it.

I told them I would think it over for the weekend, but am leaning toward offer #2

Originally posted by weber
    Id be pissed to, Things like that is why I stay away from the union. Im a small bussniess man, the working man who built this country. And thats what I stick to. I make damn good money but work hard for it and so does my guys. But they were just taking advantage of you. If your in CA Ill hire you. and take care of you.
    What does union membership have to do with it?

You mean to tell me that there has never been a non-union company that has never, ever hired lower paid replacements for senior workers?

Yeah, right.

Originally posted by markettech
    1. We are a union shop, I am a dues paying member, and I lost my job to 2 non union refr techs that were just hired. I put in a call to the area business manager, and he told me that the company could do this due to a national agreement they had signed and could work these guys for up to 6 months without having them be signatory. The guy also told me that Boss #1 had called him earlier in the week to tell him that he was letting me go - WTF - A heads up would have been nice.
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast