Zoning question / issue

Recently had a Trane heat pump / air handler installed to replace an old York system.

Question is this, I have a 2 zone system (upstairs and downstairs) via a single HVAC unit.

If I set upstairs / downstairs zones to say 74 degrees, the system runs all day and can not keep either zone of the house less than 74 degrees.

If I just run the downstairs zone, I get poor airflow through downstairs vents, and again, unit runs continously and cannot cool the house...

If I just run the upstairs zone, I get good airflow through the upstairs vents, and can actually keep both the entire house comfortable

Any ideas as to what the issue may be...I had the same issue before the install, so I do not suspect that has anything to do with it...seems like there is a issue with airflow / cooling to the downstairs zone...

There could be a number of issues involved but it's curious that having only the 2nd floor calling would keep the entire house cool. Along that vein, I'd suspect a zone damper position issue (could be a switch in the wrong position) or it could be a wiring issue. Not knowing what the zone equipment is does make it more difficult to offer any insight but generically they all do pretty much the same thing so I'd definitely need to verify zone damper positions as a first step.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Yup, sounds like a closed downstairs damper.

Is there an electronic bypass damper?
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.