2 stage RUUD Condensor kicking out of 2nd stage???

I have a Ruud UASL-JEC Condensor 2 stage... It is kicking out of 2nd stage sometimes even though the thermostat says that 2nd stage is on.. If i turn it on and turn it back on and set the temp down, it will kick into 2nd stage. But lets say I have a power surge, it will say its in 2nd stage, but intact its stuck in 1st. Does this sound like a bad Thermostat??? I really don't like 2 stage units, is there a way to skip 1st stage and just keep it on 2nd stage at all times???

Thanks

Ryan

Something isn't set up right.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by rmholt87 View Post
    I have a Ruud UASL-JEC Condensor 2 stage... It is kicking out of 2nd stage sometimes even though the thermostat says that 2nd stage is on.. If i turn it on and turn it back on and set the temp down, it will kick into 2nd stage. But lets say I have a power surge, it will say its in 2nd stage, but intact its stuck in 1st. Does this sound like a bad Thermostat??? I really don't like 2 stage units, is there a way to skip 1st stage and just keep it on 2nd stage at all times???

Thanks

Ryan
    How old is the tstat?

Did you test the tstat to see if it's bad?
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

Why not call in an HVAC tech and have the system checked? And if you do consider that avenue, I'd recommend you find a way to duplicate the problem for the tech. There's no money more wasted than calling a tech out to observe a problem and being unable to duplicate the problem for him. With a 2-stage system, if possible I'd select a company that's familiar with the product.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Confused

Im going to be honest.. I have dealt with over 5 techs from different companies and not 1 of them know this system including the one that half ass installed it from the get go.. They see the diagnostic board and they go uhhhh what is that. Ive called people listed ON the ruud website. I have had to do my own research to get this system to run as good as it already does. I have had it for about 2 yrs now, so thats how old the thermostat is. I really don't want to pay out another 100 bux to another tech that doesn't know what they are doing. If I could find one that knew this system, i would GLADLY have them come out and figure this out once and for all. It seems I know more then every tech that comes out, because they ask me questions on different things.. If anyone knows someone in Oklahoma City that knows how to properly work on my system please give me there info. The 3rd guy I had out that was on the Ruud website was tryn to charge the system via how the suction line felt. I said this is a txv system, you have to charge it using sub cooling. He said oh those new tools are a waste of money, Ill get it right for you.

Did you try here.

David Babcock LLC
    3613 N.W. 16th
    Oklahoma City,OK 73107

Phone: 405-535-1708

they may or may not know how to work on your system. Give them a call.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

So the unit has a diagnostic board that monitors and runs everything in the outdoor unit.
    It displays fault codes for any faults it detects, and stores them through power outages.
    It has troubleshooting instructions on the back side of the cover on the controls compartment.

Yet people can't figure the units out.....sad...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

What ever happened to relying on the wiring diagram and revert to the basics of electricity?? Its amazing how things start to make sense when you just stick to the basics and work your way through sequence of operation off the shematic and wiring diagram. Im not mr. perfect but I have figured more calls out by just standing back and sticking to the basics at hand.
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by luskys a/c View Post
    What ever happened to relying on the wiring diagram and revert to the basics of electricity?? Its amazing how things start to make sense when you just stick to the basics and work your way through sequence of operation off the shematic and wiring diagram. Im not mr. perfect but I have figured more calls out by just standing back and sticking to the basics at hand.
    I hear you. There isn't a concept more simple than switches in series which is what your basic compressor safety circuit is comprised of.

The last two stage split I started up what pretty straight forward.

A non-communicating 4 ton American Standard that could measure the charge on it's own. It took a 24 volt harness and took 2 inputs from the stat Y1 and Y2.

To the author of the OP a 2 stage system set up correctly is well worth the investment.

I hope you find a technician that can set that system up correctly and you can take advantage of it's full potential.