Thread: Refigerant leak

Unhappy Refigerant leak

I know I have a small leak somewhere in the system. Every year it needs to be recharged. I know it's not a DIY job to fix the leak, but am confident I can at least find it prior to tech arriving. It's a split unit, furnace in attic, AC outside. Where the lines run up the wall, I noticed a 6-8" "greasy" spot on the drywall. Am I correct in assuming this is where the leak probably is located?

I've read various reviews about the HVAC Super leak, what's the consensus here on it's use?

The system in question is 9 years old and getting more expensive to recharge everywhere thanks to the EPA.

Quote Originally Posted by tnfireman View Post
    I know I have a small leak somewhere in the system. Every year it needs to be recharged. I know it's not a DIY job to fix the leak, but am confident I can at least find it prior to tech arriving. It's a split unit, furnace in attic, AC outside. Where the lines run up the wall, I noticed a 6-8" "greasy" spot on the drywall. Am I correct in assuming this is where the leak probably is located?

I've read various reviews about the HVAC Super leak, what's the consensus here on it's use?

The system in question is 9 years old and getting more expensive to recharge everywhere thanks to the EPA.
    An oily or "greasy" spot doesn't sound like a "small" leak to me. It wouldn't hurt to look there, though. That could, at the very least, lead to a clue to the leak's location.

Most here don't like leak sealers. They are contaminants and compressor killers.

Well the spot on the wall was not an overnight thing, been there quite a while and grown over the years. Mostly neglect by me not investigating sooner has allowed it to get bigger, the AC piping is right behind the spot so I'm assuming it has to be coming from that

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-03-2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Buried in the wall are they? Where the spot manifests itself and where the leak actually is could be two different locations. Typically leaks don't just occure in solid run copper, they are more common at braze joints and fittings this assumes (there's that word) no mechanical (nail, screw, etc) damage. The wild card would be an old Aeroquip flexible line set.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Nope, all copper, house is same age as unit - 9 years old. Guess it's gonna be the ole soapy water trick after making a few select cuts in the drywall

beside a bad brazing job I would look for a sheetrock nail or screw. thats very cmmon. good luck on your find.
    a stupid question is a question you wont to ask, but don't

heresjohnnyb, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

An oil spot can be a huge indicator of where to look first.

It wouldn't be the first leak buried in a wall. I'd rather have one buried in a wall than buried underground. Sometimes the copper has a bad spot, no nail or joint to cause a leak, just a split in the copper tubing.

Bubbles work fine. Some leaks are dependent on pressure, vibration or temperature. Have the correct factor missing and it never shows up. Wiggle the line, it pops up. Warm or cool the component,, it pops up. Increase pressure above a threshold, the leak pops up.
    Most leaks leak all the time and get worse as pressure increases.
    “I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin