No split, but heat rec coil....

I found a leak today on a condenser discharge header.

My problem is I have never had to repair one before and was hoping someone could explain the best way to do this.

4 compressors on an old Hill rack, only one condenser and piped w/ no split.

The rack does have a hr coil, my question...can I, while monitoring HP, shut down the discharge bv and run the condenser out of liquid, w/ the fans off, then shut rack off, and close drop leg bv?

Then dump the remaining gas in a pre- pumped down circuit.

Does this sound right? Or is there a better way.

Oh yea, There are two other racks w / same R-22 and could dump it in the suction header.

Quote Originally Posted by sprmktrefertech View Post
    I found a leak today on a condenser discharge header.

My problem is I have never had to repair one before and was hoping someone could explain the best way to do this.

4 compressors on an old Hill rack, only one condenser and piped w/ no split.

The rack does have a hr coil, my question...can I, while monitoring HP, shut down the discharge bv and run the condenser out of liquid, w/ the fans off, then shut rack off, and close drop leg bv?
    Then dump the remaining gas in a pre- pumped down circuit.

Does this sound right? Or is there a better way.

Oh yea, There are two other racks w / same R-22 and could dump it in the suction header.
    That isn't going to work.

I shut the fans down, run the head pressure up to ALMOSt trip point, then shut both BV off and run the recovery machine.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

I shut the fans down, run the head pressure up to ALMOSt trip point, then shut both BV off and run the recovery machine.
    Thanks, Jp!

Another tip. Use the recovery machine to pump into the suction header instead of tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by smilies View Post
    Another tip. Use the recovery machine to pump into the suction header instead of tanks.
    I like your thinking. That will speed it up a lot.