Need some advice!!!

Hey My name is Al and im a U.S Marine who is getting out of the Corps in a couple of weeks. My Dad is a commercial refrigeration mechanic and i am going to TCI College Of Technology for HVAC/R trade. Before i joined the Corps my dad always took me on the job with him so i surely remember alot but then i enlisted in to the infantry and been away from the trade for the past 5 years. My question is do i need any startup tools, or any helpful books i should read? Im mostly looking to do commercial refrigeration in NY and just follow my dads foot steps, he is extremely helpful but doesn't know anything about these trade schools... Just thought i would give this site a try, Thank you very much!

Welcome to H-talk!

Just by reading here you will gain a lot of useful knowledge. Once you reach 15 posts you can apply for Professional Membership where there is a huge amount of information and technical help.

Modern Refrigeration and A/C is a good book to have.

And a big Thank-you for your Service Al!!!

Thanks alot Chuck i really appreciate it!

The tools you will need are Torches, vacuum pump, nut drivers, leak detector, swaging tool, good drill, salan wrench. Hope this helps....feel free to reach out to me if you need any additional guidance.

If you're just going to school you shouldn't need any tools. You use the schools tools while learning. Once you get out of school, the job you get will determine exactly what tools you need. I'm sure your Dad can help you with that part.

Good book to read - Modern Refrigeration

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Refrige...r+conditioning

It can be bought at some HVAC suppliers for cheaper than what's listed. As for the heating/gas side, read and get to know your code books.

Quote Originally Posted by chevster01 View Post
    The tools you will need are Torches, vacuum pump, nut drivers, leak detector, swaging tool, good drill, salan wrench. Hope this helps....feel free to reach out to me if you need any additional guidance.
    You think i would need all those tools for tech school? or to just start up in general?

I heard Modern Refrigeration is a must... how about "commercial refrigeration for ac technicians" i heard to check that out aswell. any opinions on that?

ditto Modern Refrigeration

be careful not to expect to come out of trade school thinking you'll be making a ton of money and being able to fix a whole lot. There is no experience better than getting out in the field and putting your hands on the equipment. IMO you'll learn more from your Dad than from any trade school.

Quote Originally Posted by allieeboy View Post
    You think i would need all those tools for tech school? or to just start up in general?
    I would NOT invest money in most of the tools listed.

Buy good, quality hand tools. Basics. Wrenches, screw drivers and nut drivers and the like. Tools like that will be much more useful in ALL facets of repairs than buying a vacuum pump.

From there, you will need an electrical meter, a thermometer and a set of manifold gauges. AGAIN, buy quality tools. This is your life and your livelihood. Don't skimp.

Those tools are the basics that you MUST have to work in the trade.

From there, look at more specialized tools.